Spatial Disparities in Productivity in Central and Eastern Europe
AbstractThis paper examines the evolution of territorial imbalances in productivity in thirty-nine Central and East European regions between 1992 and 2001. The results obtained show an overall reduction in regional inequality over the study period, though they also indicate simultaneous between-country convergence and within-country divergence. The polarization of the distribution under consideration is seen to decrease, while the registered level of intradistribution mobility is relatively low. The analysis also indicates that regional disparities in output per worker in Central and Eastern Europe are closely linked to intrinsic differences among regions. Finally, we investigate the role played in explaining observed dispersion in sectoral productivity levels by the national-level factors, spatial location, agglomeration economies, and geographical distance from the economic core of the European Union.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Eastern European Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=106044
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2009.
"Does Decentralization Matter for Regional Disparities? A Cross-Country Analysis,"
SERC Discussion Papers
0025, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Roberto Ezcurra, 2010. "Does decentralization matter for regional disparities? A cross-country analysis," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(5), pages 619-644, September.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2009. "Does decentralization matter for regional disparities? A cross-country analysis," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33244, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Roberto Ezcurra, 2009. "Does decentralization matter for regional disparities? A cross-country analysis," Working Papers 2009-04, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Nicole Palan, 2010. "Measurement of Specialization – The Choice of Indices," FIW Working Paper series 062, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.