Subsistence Farming in Central and Eastern Europe : Empirical Evidence from Albania, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania
AbstractPresent-day Central and East European agriculture is characterized by a high incidence of small-scale farmers who are not producing for the market. This article uses household-level data from comparative farm surveys in Albania, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania to analyze the extent of subsistence farming and to investigate which farm household characteristics and endowments influence commercialization of agricultural produce.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Eastern European Economics.
Volume (Year): 42 (2004)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=106044
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Borbala Balint & Peter Wobst, 2006. "Institutional Factors and Market Participation by Individual Farmers: The Case of Romania," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 101-121.
- Iddo Kan & Ayal Kimhi & Zvi Lerman, 2006.
"Farm output, non-farm income and commercialization in rural Georgia,"
The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 3(2), pages 276-286.
- Kan, Iddo & Kimhi, Ayal & Lerman, Zvi, 2006. "Farm Output, Non-Farm Income, and Commercialization in Rural Georgia," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 3(2).
- Kan, Iddo & Kimhi, Ayal & Lerman, Zvi, 2006. "Farm Output, Non-Farm Income, And Commercialization In Rural Georgia," Discussion Papers 7179, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Sauer, Johannes & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2009. "Determinants for fallowing land: The case of Kosovo," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51626, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alboiu, Cornelia, 2009. "Romanian Agriculture From Survival To Business," Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, Institute of Agricultural Economics, vol. 6(1), pages 79-90.
- Johannes Sauer & Matthew Gorton & John White, 2012.
"Marketing, cooperatives and price heterogeneity: evidence from the CIS dairy sector,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(2), pages 165-177, 03.
- Sauer, Johannes & Gorton, Matthew & White, John, 2011. "Marketing, cooperatives and price heterogeneity: evidence from the CIS dairy sector," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103722, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Sauer, Johannes & Gorton, Matthew & White, John, 2011. "Marketing, Co-operatives and Price Heterogeneity: Evidence from the CIS Dairy Sector," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108938, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Sauer, Johannes & Gorton, Matthew & White, John, 2011. "Marketing, Cooperatives and Price Heterogeneity: Evidence from the CIS Dairy Sector," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114489, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Sauer, Johannes & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2009. "Determinants of the Fallowing Decision in Kosovo," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51072, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Takacs-Gyorgy, Katalin & Erdelyi, Tamas & Sadowski, Adam, 2011. "Land Use and Property Changes in Poland and in Hungary After EU Accession," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116338, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fogarasi, Jozsef, 2007. "Efficiency and total factor productivity in post-EU accession Hungarian sugar beet production," Studies in Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, issue 105, January.
- Zoltán Bakucs, Lajos & Fertő, Imre & Szabó, Gábor G., 2010. "Contractual relationships in the Hungarian milk sector," IAMO Forum 2010: Institutions in Transition â Challenges for New Modes of Governance 52700, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Sikor, Thomas & Müller, Daniel & Stahl, Johannes, 2009. "Land Fragmentation and Cropland Abandonment in Albania: Implications for the Roles of State and Community in Post-Socialist Land Consolidation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1411-1423, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.