Geographic Diversification, Bank Holding Company Value, and Risk
AbstractWe assess the association between geographic diversification and bank holding company (BHC) value and risk, controlling for the distance between the headquarters and branches. The distance-adjusted deposit dispersion index used as a measure of geographic diversification accounts for the number of locations where a BHC operates, the level of activity in each location, and the distance between a BHC and its branches. We find that geographic diversification is associated with BHC value enhancement and risk reduction, increased distance between a BHC and its branches is associated with firm value reduction and risk increase, and geographic diversification across more remote areas is associated with greater value enhancement but smaller risk reduction. Copyright (c) 2008 The Ohio State University.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 40 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wang, Wei-Kang & Lu, Wen-Min & Lin, Yi-Ling, 2012. "Does corporate governance play an important role in BHC performance? Evidence from the U.S," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 751-760.
- Martin Goetz & Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2011.
"The Valuation Effects of Geographic Diversification: Evidence from U.S. Banks,"
NBER Working Papers
17660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luc Laeven & Martin R. Goetz & Ross Levine, 2012. "The Valuation Effects of Geographic Diversification: Evidence from U.S. Banks," IMF Working Papers 12/50, International Monetary Fund.
- Luis Mohamed Azzim Gulamhussen & Carlos Pinheiro & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2012.
"Were multinational banks taking excessive risks before the recent financial crisis?,"
Working Papers CASMEF
1209, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Gulamhussen, Mohamed Azzim & Pinheiro, Carlos & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2012. "Were multinational banks taking excessive risks before the recent financial crisis?," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp12067, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
- Mohamed Azzim Gulamhussen & Carlos Pinheiro & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2012. "Were Multinational Banks Taking Excessive Risks Before the Recent Financial Crisis?," Development Working Papers 332, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 16 Jul 2012.
- Mohamed Azzim Gulamhussen & Carlos Pinheiro & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2012. "Were multinational banks taking excessive risks before the recent financial crisis?," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 69, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Staikouras, Sotiris K., 2009. "An event study analysis of international ventures between banks and insurance firms," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 675-691, October.
- Paola Brighi & Valeria Venturelli, 2013. "The Effect Of Revenue And Geographic Diversification On Bank Performance," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 13103, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Facoltà di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- zhang, zhichao & Xie, Li & lu, xiangyun & zhang, zhuang, 2014. "Determinants of financial distress in u.s. large bank holding companies," MPRA Paper 53545, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.