Uncertainty and Export Performance: Evidence from 18 Countries
AbstractWe study a sample of nine developed and nine developing countries to evaluate the questions of how foreign income uncertainty and real exchange rate (RER) uncertainty impact international trade and how those impacts vary according to stage of development. RER uncertainty has a negative and significant impact on export growth for six of the nine less developed countries in our sample, while it has an insignificant effect for a majority of the developed countries. In both groups, foreign income uncertainty has a more pervasively significant (and frequently larger) influence on trade than does RER uncertainty. Copyright 2007 The Ohio State University.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jérôme Héricourt & Sandra Poncet, 2013.
"Exchange rate volatility, financial constraints and trade: empirical evidence from Chinese firms,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Jérôme Héricourt & Sandra Poncet, 2012. "Exchange Rate Volatility, Financial Constraints and Trade: Empirical Evidence from Chinese Firms," Working Papers 2012-35, CEPII research center.
- Jérôme Héricourt & Sandra Poncet, 2013. "Exchange Rate Volatility, Financial Constraints and Trade: Empirical Evidence from Chinese Firms," CESifo Working Paper Series 4303, CESifo Group Munich.
- Verheyen, Florian, 2011. "Bilateral exports from Euro Zone countries to the US: Does exchange rate variability play a role?," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 121, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Don Bredin & John Cotter, 2011.
"Volatility and Irish Exports,"
200416, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Demir, Firat, 2013.
"Growth under exchange rate volatility: Does access to foreign or domestic equity markets matter?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 74-88.
- Demir, Firat, 2011. "Growth under Exchange Rate Volatility: Does Access to Foreign or Domestic Equity Markets Matter?," MPRA Paper 37398, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Molina, Imelda R. & Mohanty, Samarendu & Pede, Valerien O. & Valera, Harold, 2013. "Modeling the Effects of Exchange Rate Volatility on Thai Rice Exports," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150429, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Amber Fatima & Abdul Waheed, 2011. "Effects of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Investment and Economic Growth: Evidence from Pakistan," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 112-123, September.
- Christopher F Baum & Mustafa Caglayan, 2007. "Effects of Exchange Rate Volatility on the Volume and Volatility of Bilateral Exports," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 64, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan, 2008. "The Volatility of International Trade Flows and Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 695, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Rebeca Muñoz Torres, 2011.
"The Effect of the Exchange Rates on Investment in Mexican Manufacturing Industry,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 669-683, September.
- Caglayan, Mustafa & Muñoz Torres, Rebeca I., 2008. "The Effect of the Exchange Rates on Investment in Mexican Manufacturing Industry," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 846, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Demir, Firat, 2010.
"Exchange Rate Volatility and Employment Growth in Developing Countries: Evidence from Turkey,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 1127-1140, August.
- Demir, Firat, 2010. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Employment Growth in Developing Countries: Evidence from Turkey," MPRA Paper 24477, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cermeño, Rodolfo & Grier, Robin & Grier, Kevin, 2010. "Elections, exchange rates and reform in Latin America," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 166-174, July.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan, 2006.
"On the Sensitivity of the Volume and Volatility of Bilateral Trade Flows to Exchange Rate Uncertainty,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
641, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Feb 2008.
- Baum, Christopher F. & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2010. "On the sensitivity of the volume and volatility of bilateral trade flows to exchange rate uncertainty," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 79-93, February.
- Diallo, Ibrahima Amadou, 2012. "The effects of real exchange rate volatility on productivity growth," MPRA Paper 36171, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Omar S. Dahi & Firat Demir, 2013.
"EsTrade Flows, Exchange Rate Uncertainty, and Financial Depth: Evidence from 28 Emerging Countries,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 905-927, April.
- Demir, Firat & Caglayan, Mustafa & Dahi, Omar S., 2012. "Trade flows, exchange rate uncertainty and financial depth: evidence from 28 emerging countries," MPRA Paper 37400, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Omar S. Dahi & Firat Demir, 2010. "Trade Flows, Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Financial Depth: Evidence from 28 Emerging Countries," Working Papers 2010011, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised May 2010.
- Demir, Firat & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2012. "Firm Productivity, Exchange Rate Movements, Sources of Finance and Export Orientation," MPRA Paper 37397, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.