Prudential Regulation and the "Credit Crunch": Evidence from Japan
AbstractThe underlying causes of sharp declines in bank lending during recessions in large developed economies, as exemplified by the U.S. in the early 1990s and Japan in the late 1990s, are still being debated due to the lack of any convincing identification strategy of the supply side capital-lending relationship from lending demand. Using within bank share of real estate lending in the late 1980s as an instrumental variable for bank capital, we find that Japanese banks cut back on their lending in response to a large loss of bank capital in fiscal year 1997. Copyright 2007 The Ohio State University.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hosono, Kaoru & Miyakawa, Daisuke & Uchino, Taisuke & Hazama, Makoto & Ono, Arito & Uchida, Hirofumi & Uesugi, Iichiro, 2012.
"Natural Disasters, Damage to Banks, and Firm Investment,"
Working Paper Series
18, Center for Interfirm Network, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- HOSONO Kaoru & MIYAKAWA Daisuke & UCHINO Taisuke & HAZAMA Makoto & ONO Arito & UCHIDA Hirofumi & UESUGI Iichiro, 2012. "Natural Disasters, Damage to Banks, and Firm Investment," Discussion papers 12062, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Mora, Nada & Logan, Andrew, 2010.
"Shocks to bank capital: evidence from UK banks at home and away,"
Bank of England working papers
387, Bank of England.
- Nada Mora & Andrew Logan, 2012. "Shocks to bank capital: evidence from UK banks at home and away," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(9), pages 1103-1119, March.
- Borio, Claudio & Zhu, Haibin, 2012.
"Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: A missing link in the transmission mechanism?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 236-251.
- Claudio Borio & Haibin Zhu, 2008. "Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: a missing link in the transmission mechanism?," BIS Working Papers 268, Bank for International Settlements.
- Elod Takáts & Christian Upper, 2013. "Credit and growth after financial crises," BIS Working Papers 416, Bank for International Settlements.
- Dia, Enzo, 2013. "How do banks respond to shocks? A dynamic model of deposit-taking institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3623-3638.
- Mototsugu Fukushige, 2013. "The long-run relationship between the Japanese credit and money multipliers," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 13-19, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Guido Lorenzoni, 2007.
"Inefficient Credit Booms,"
NBER Working Papers
13639, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Watanabe, Wako, 2010. "Does a large loss of bank capital cause Evergreening? Evidence from Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 116-136, March.
- Levintal, Oren, 2013. "The real effects of banking shocks: Evidence from OECD countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 556-578.
- Ignacio Hernando & Ernesto Villanueva, 2012. "The recent slowdown of bank lending in Spain: are supply-side factors relevant?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1206, Banco de Espa�a.
- Masami Imai & Seitaro Takarabe, 2009. "Transmission of Liquidity Shock to Bank Credit: Evidence from the Deposit Insurance Reform in Japan," Wesleyan Economics Working Papers 2009-001, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Montgomery, Heather & Shimizutani, Satoshi, 2009. "The effectiveness of bank recapitalization policies in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Garry Tang & Christian Upper, 2010. "Debt reduction after crises," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- KURASHIMA Daichi & MIZUNAGA Masashi & ODAKI Kazuhiko & WATANABE Wako, 2013. "Is Leverage a Determinant of Asset Price? Evidence from real estate transaction data," Discussion papers 13082, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Masami Imai, 2008. "Crowding-Out Effects of a Government-Owned Depository Institution: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Japan," Wesleyan Economics Working Papers 2008-003, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Ogawa, Kazuo, 2011. "Balance sheet deterioration and credit allocations: Japanese evidence from the short-term economic survey of enterprises," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 86-96, March.
- Brahim Guizani & Wako Watanabe, 2010. "The Deposit Insurance and the Risk-Shifting Incentive Evidence from the Blanket Deposit Insurance in Japan," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2010-004, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Guizani, Brahim, 2010. "Regulation Policy And Credit Crunch: Evidence From Japan," MPRA Paper 46827, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 08 May 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.