De Novo Bank Exit
AbstractNewly chartered banks provide an additional credit source for small businesses, but the staying power of new banks can be weak. A multi-state exit model is estimated for U.S. commercial banks chartered between 1980 and 1985 and for a benchmark sample of small established banks. The determinants of failure are similar for both samples, but new bank failure is more sensitive to adverse environmental conditions. The timing of new bank exit-by-failure follows a life-cycle pattern, but the timing of new bank exit-by-acquisition does not. There is mixed evidence on the efficacy of regulations aimed at reducing new bank fragility.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fiordelisi, Franco & Mare, Davide Salvatore, 2013. "Probability of default and efficiency in cooperative banking," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 30-45.
- Gerhard Hambusch & Sherrill Shaffer, 2012.
"Forecasting Bank Leverage,"
Working Paper Series
176, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Gerhard Hambusch & Sherrill Shaffer, 2012. "Forecasting Bank Leverage," Research Paper Series 320, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Gerhard Hambusch & Sherrill Shaffer, 2012. "Forecasting Bank Leverage," CAMA Working Papers 2012-56, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Theoharry Grammatikos, & Nikolaos I. Papanikolaou, 2013.
"What lies behind the (Too-Small-To-Survive) banks?,"
LSF Research Working Paper Series
13-12, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Grammatikos, Theoharry & Papanikolaou, Nikolaos I., 2013. "What lies behind the “too-small-to-survive” banks?," MPRA Paper 51431, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2013.
- DeYoung, Robert, 2003. "The failure of new entrants in commercial banking markets: a split-population duration analysis," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 7-33.
- David G. Mayes & Hanno Stremmel, 2014.
"The Effectiveness of Capital Adequacy Measures in Predicting Bank Distress,"
Chapters in SUERF Studies,
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- David G. Mayes & Hanno Stremmel, 2014. "The Effectiveness of Capital Adequacy Measures in Predicting Bank Distress," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2014/1.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 2010.
"Reciprocal Brokered Deposits And Bank Risk,"
CAMA Working Papers
2010-15, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Fungácová, Zuzana & Turk Ariss, Rima & Weill, Laurent, 2013. "Does excessive liquidity creation trigger bank failures?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 2/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Maghyereh, Aktham I. & Awartani, Basel, 2014. "Bank distress prediction: Empirical evidence from the Gulf Cooperation Council countries," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 126-147.
- Massimo Libertucci & Francesco Piersante, 2012. "Start-up banks’ default and the role of capital," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 890, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 2012.
"Bank Failure Risk: Different Now?,"
CAMA Working Papers
2012-23, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Knaup, M. & Wagner, W.B., 2009. "A Market Based Measure of Credit Quality and Banks' Performance During the Subprime Crisis," Discussion Paper 2009-35 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ken Cyree & James Wansley, 2009. "Managerial Rationale for Entry and the Relation to Performance and Small-Business Lending," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 119-139, April.
- Man K. Leung & Trevor Young & Michael K. Fung, 2008. "The entry and exit decisions of foreign banks in Hong Kong," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(6), pages 503-512.
- David VanHoose, 2013. "Implications of Shifting Retail Market Shares for Loan Monitoring in a Dominant-Bank Model," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 60(3), pages 291-316, 07.
- Ergungor, O. Emre, 2005. "The profitability of bank-borrower relationships," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 485-512, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.