The Market for Electronic Cash Cards
AbstractWe develop a theoretical framework aimed to model the pricing of electronic cash cards and the market domain in which these cards will be used in an environment where charge cards and currency (the legal tender) are competing payment media. We also investigate whether the adoption of the various payment media generates an underutilization or overutilization of the electronic cash cards relative to currency.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
Other versions of this item:
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Willman, Alpo & Kortelainen, Mika & Männistö, Hanna-Leena & Tujula, Mika, 1998. "The BOF5 Macroeconomic Model of Finland, Structure and Equations," Research Discussion Papers 10/1998, Bank of Finland.
- Leinonen, Harry, 1998. "Interbank funds transfer systems: liquidity needs, counterparty risks and collateral," Research Discussion Papers 16/1998, Bank of Finland.
- Kane, Edward J, 1996. "Comment on Alternative Monies and the Demand for Media of Exchange," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 961-64, November.
- Santomero, Anthony M & Seater, John J, 1996.
"Alternative Monies and the Demand for Media of Exchange,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 942-60, November.
- Anthony M. Santomero & John J. Seater, 1996. "Alternative monies and the demand for media of exchange," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 942-964.
- Anthony M. Santomero & John J. Seater, 1995. "Alternative Monies and the Demand for Media of Exchange," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-08, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Pirttilä, Jukka, 1998. "Earmarking of Environmental Taxes: Efficient, After All," Research Discussion Papers 4/1998, Bank of Finland.
- Zinman, Jonathan, 2009.
"Debit or credit?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 358-366, February.
- Von Kalckreuth, Ulf & Schmidt, Tobias & Stix, Helmut, 2009.
"Choosing and using payment instruments: evidence from German microdata,"
Working Paper Series
1144, European Central Bank.
- von Kalckreuth, Ulf & Schmidt, Tobias & Stix, Helmut, 2009. "Choosing and using payment instruments: evidence from German microdata," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2009,36, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Jyrkönen , Hanna, 2004. "Less cash on the counter: Forecasting Finnish payment preferences," Research Discussion Papers 27/2004, Bank of Finland.
- Hayashi Fumiko & Klee Elizabeth, 2003.
"Technology Adoption and Consumer Payments: Evidence from Survey Data,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-16, June.
- Fumiko Hayashi & Elizabeth Klee, 2002. "Technology adoption and consumer payments : evidence from survey data," Payments System Research Working Paper PSR WP 02-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Batiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Maixe-Altes, J. Carles, 2009. "Managing technological change by committee: Adoption of computers in Spanish and British savings banks (circa 1960-1988)," MPRA Paper 27086, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Snellman, Jussi & Vesala, Jukka & Humphrey, David, 2000. "Substitution of noncash payment instruments for cash in Europe," Research Discussion Papers 1/2000, Bank of Finland.
- Sujit Chakravorti & Victor Lubasi, 2006. "Payment instrument choice: the case of prepaid cards," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 29-43.
- Pippow Ingo & Schoder Detlef, 2002. "The Demand for Stored Value Payment Instruments," Microeconomics 0204002, EconWPA.
- Nicole Jonker, 2007. "Payment Instruments as Perceived by Consumers – Results from a Household Survey," De Economist, Springer, vol. 155(3), pages 271-303, September.
- Klee, Elizabeth, 2008. "How people pay: Evidence from grocery store data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 526-541, April.
- Shy, Oz, 2013. "How many cards do you use?," Working Papers 13-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Elizabeth Klee, 2006. "Paper or plastic? the effect of time on the use of check and debit cards at grocery stores," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2006-02, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jonathan Zinman, 2004. "Why use debit instead of credit? Consumer choice in a trillion-dollar market," Staff Reports 191, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Eugene Amromin & Sujit Chakravorti, 2007. "Debit card and cash usage: a cross-country analysis," Working Paper Series WP-07-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Carlos Arango & Yassine Bouhdaoui & David Bounie & Martina Eschelbach & Lola Hernández, 2013. "Cash Management and Payment Choices: A Simulation Model with International Comparisons," Working Papers 13-53, Bank of Canada.
- Saleh M. Nsouli & Connel Fullenkamp, 2004. "Six Puzzles in Electronic Money and Banking," IMF Working Papers 04/19, International Monetary Fund.
- Li, Yan & Carroll, Wayne, 2011. "The payment mechanisms and liquidity effects," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 656-667.
- Marco Arnone & Luca Bandiera, 2004. "Monetary Policy, Monetary Areas, and Financial Development with Electronic Money," IMF Working Papers 04/122, International Monetary Fund.
- Nicole Jonker & Anneke Kosse & Lola HernÃ¡ndez, 2012. "Cash usage in the Netherlands: How much, where, when, who and whenever one wants?," DNB Occasional Studies 1002, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- W. Bolt, 2003. "Retail Payments in the Netherlands: some Facts and Some Theory," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 722, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Susan Pozo, 2004. "On the Use of Differing Money Transmission Methods by Mexican Immigrants," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/06, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Yassine Bouhdaoui & David Bounie, 2012. "Modeling the Share of Cash Payments in the Economy: An Application to France," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 8(4), pages 175-195, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.