AbstractA random matching environment is constructed where banks mitigate a mismatch between the timing of investment payoffs and when agents wish to consume. Claims on banks may serve as media of exchange, i.e. private money. Two problems can emerge with private money. First, there may exist welfare-dominated equilibria where banks hold low-return assets. Second, private media of exchange may be subject to lemons problems. In spite of these problems, the introduction of fiat money can decrease welfare, as this displaces private money and results in a crowding out of productive intermediation.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 31 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
Other versions of this item:
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading lists or Wikipedia pages:Access and download statistics
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.