Costs of Adjustment, Portfolio Separation, and the Dynamic Behavior of Bank Loans and Deposits
AbstractThis paper develops a model of the banking firm and tests for the presence of 'portfolio separation.' The theoretical model generalizes existing intertemporal adjustment-costs models by assuming that these costs coexist simultaneously on both sides of the bank's balance sheet. Our analysis predicts that bank loan demand and deposit supply respond to past, current and expected fixture values of the federal funds rate, deposit rate, and loan rate. We estimate the model and find that the restrictions imposed by the portfolio separation assumption are inconsistent with the estimated behavior of the banking firms in our sample. We also find some limited empirical support for our extended model of the adjustment cost process. Copyright 1995 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 27 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oliver Hülsewig & Eric Mayer & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2005.
"Bank Loan Supply and Monetary Policy Transmission in Germany: An Assessment Based on Matching Impulse Responses,"
Ifo Working Paper Series
Ifo Working Papers No.14, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Hulsewig, Oliver & Mayer, Eric & Wollmershauser, Timo, 2006. "Bank loan supply and monetary policy transmission in Germany: An assessment based on matching impulse responses," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2893-2910, October.
- Oliver Hülsewig & Eric Mayer & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2005. "Bank Loan Supply and Monetary Policy Transmission in Germany: An Assessment Based on Matching Impulse Responses," CESifo Working Paper Series 1380, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hülsewig, Oliver & Mayer, Eric & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2004. "Bank Loan Supply and Monetary Policy Transmission in Germany: An Assessment based on Matching Impulse Responses," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 54, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Ishikawa, Daisuke & Tsutsui, Yoshiro, 2013. "Credit crunch and its spatial differences in Japan's lost decade: What can we learn from it?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 41-52.
- Shaw, Ming-fu & Chang, Juin-jen & Chen, Hung-Ju, 2012.
"Capital Adequacy and the Bank Lending Channel: Macroeconomic Implications,"
41056, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shaw, Ming-fu & Chang, Juin-jen & Chen, Hung-Ju, 2013. "Capital adequacy and the bank lending channel: Macroeconomic implications," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 121-137.
- Massimo Giulidori & Enzo Dia, 2009. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Margins: Estimates of a Dynamic Model," Working Papers 157, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2009.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Mansur, Iqbal, 1998. "Sensitivity of the bank stock returns distribution to changes in the level and volatility of interest rate: A GARCH-M model," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 535-563, May.
- Enzo Dia, 2004. "Imperfect Information and Monopolistic Pricing in the Banking Industry," Working Papers 74, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised May 2004.
- Kopecky, Kenneth J. & VanHoose, David, 2006. "Capital regulation, heterogeneous monitoring costs, and aggregate loan quality," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2235-2255, August.
- Sharma, Anurag & Jha, Raghbendra, 2012. "Fiscal deficits, banking crises and policy reversal in a semi-open economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 271-282.
- Lakshmi Balasubramanyan & David D. VanHoose, 2012.
"Bank balance sheet dynamics under a regulatory liquidity-coverage-ratio constraint,"
1209, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Balasubramanyan, Lakshmi & VanHoose, David D., 2013. "Bank balance sheet dynamics under a regulatory liquidity-coverage-ratio constraint," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 53-67.
- Dutkowsky, Donald H. & VanHoose, David D., 2013. "Interest on reserves, unregulated interest on demand deposits, and optimal sweeping," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 38(PB), pages 192-202.
- Kopecky, Kenneth J. & VanHoose, David, 2012. "Can capital requirements induce private monitoring that is socially optimal?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 252-262.
- Wu, Pei-Shan & Huang, Chien-Ming & Chiu, Chien-Liang, 2011. "Effects of structural changes on the risk characteristics of REIT returns," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 645-653, October.
- Devaney, Michael, 2001. "Time varying risk premia for real estate investment trusts: A GARCH-M model," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 335-346.
- Dutkowsky, Donald H. & VanHoose, David D., 2011. "Interest on bank reserves and optimal sweeping," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2491-2497, September.
- David VanHoose, 2013. "Implications of Shifting Retail Market Shares for Loan Monitoring in a Dominant-Bank Model," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 60(3), pages 291-316, 07.
- David Vanhoose, 1997. "Macroeconomic stability in a free banking system," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 25(4), pages 331-343, December.
- Kopecky, Kenneth J. & VanHoose, David, 2004. "Bank capital requirements and the monetary transmission mechanism," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 443-464, September.
- David VanHoose, 2011. "Regulatory Constraints on Performance-Based Managerial Compensation, Bank Monitoring, and Aggregate Loan Quality," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 39(4), pages 315-328, December.
- Nobuo Inaba & Takashi Kozu, 2005. "A note on the recent behaviour of Japanese banks," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Investigating the relationship between the financial and real economy, volume 22, pages 82-105 Bank for International Settlements.
- Kopecky, Kenneth J. & VanHoose, David, 2004. "A model of the monetary sector with and without binding capital requirements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 633-646, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.