Portfolio Redistribution Impacts within the Narrow Monetary Aggregate
AbstractA number of important monetary and financial changes occurred in the 1980s. A rising question among monetary economists is whether the character of M1 has changed substantially as a result. In particular, a frequent contention is that interest-bearing checkable deposits behave as a savings-type asset, thus subjecting M1 to portfolio redistribution effects in the modern era. This research examines the elasticities of substitution for a variety of financial assets pre- and post-1980. Results indicate that M1 subcomponents do show significant substitution with savings-type assets. However, the portfolio redistribution impacts are not confined to the interest-bearing checkable deposits. Further, results indicate that this behavior is not unique to the 1980s. Copyright 1992 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 24 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Choudhry Taufiq, 2002. "Financial Innovations And Demand For United States M1 And M2 Components," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 73-93.
- Yash P. Mehra, 1992. "In search of a stable, short-run M1 demand function," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue May, pages 9-23.
- Glennon, Dennis & Lane, Julia, 1996. "Financial innovation, new assets, and the behavior of money demand," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 207-225, March.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Turchick, David, 2010.
"Welfare costs of inflation when interest-bearing deposits are disregarded: A calculation of the bias,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1015-1030, June.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Turchick, David, 2010. "Welfare costs of inflation when interest-bearing deposits are disregarded: A calculation of the bias," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 700, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.