Politics and Perceived Country Creditworthiness in International Banking
AbstractThis paper marks a departure from most previous studies of country creditworthiness in international banking because it incorporates systematically generated quantitative indicators of political instability in the analysis. The authors empirically test for the effects of political instability on perceived country creditworthiness using data on thirty heavily indebted developing countries for the period 1967-86. In addition to economic factors, they examine the effects of three types of political instability--regime change, political legitimacy, and armed conflict. The authors also distinguish between proximate instability and chronic instability. They find significant effects of proximate instability--particularly in governmental regime--on indicators of countries' perceived creditworthiness. Copyright 1990 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 22 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Demir, Firat, 2006. "Volatility of short term capital flows and socio-political instability in Argentina, Mexico and Turkey," MPRA Paper 1943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Picard, Pierre M., 2006.
"Infrastructure and public utilities privatization in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3950, The World Bank.
- Emmanuelle Auriol & Pierre M. Picard, 2008. "Infrastructure and Public Utilities Privatization in Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, November.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Picard, Pierre M., 2009. "Infrastructure and Public Utilities Privatization in Developing Countries," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Picard, Pierre M, 2006. "Infrastructure and Public Utilities Privatization in Developing Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 6018, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gabriel Cuadra & Horacio Sapriza, 2006.
"Sovereign Default, Interest Rates and Political Uncertainty in Emerging Markets,"
2006-02, Banco de México.
- Cuadra, Gabriel & Sapriza, Horacio, 2008. "Sovereign default, interest rates and political uncertainty in emerging markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 78-88, September.
- Aron, Janine, 2002.
"Building Institutions in Post-Conflict African Economies,"
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Janine Aron, 2003. "Building institutions in post-conflict African economies," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 471-485.
- Nath, Hiranya K., 2009.
"Country Risk Analysis: A Survey of the Quantitative Methods,"
Economia Internazionale / International Economics,
Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 62(1), pages 69-94.
- Hiranya K. Nath, 2008. "Country Risk Analysis: A Survey of the Quantitative Methods," Working Papers 0804, Sam Houston State University, Department of Economics and International Business.
- Morales, Jorge & Tuesta, Pedro, 1998. "Calificaciones de crédito y riesgo país," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 3.
- McKenzie, David, 2002.
"An econometric analysis of IBRD creditworthiness,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2822, The World Bank.
- Rivoli, Pietra & Brewer, Thomas L., 1997. "Political instability and country risk," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 309-321.
- Aron, Janine, 2000. "Growth and Institutions: A Review of the Evidence," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(1), pages 99-135, February.
- Islam, Roumeen & Montenegro, Claudio E., 2002. "What determines the quality of institutions?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2764, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.