Financing the German Mittelstand
AbstractThis paper describes how the German Mittelstand, or small- and medium-sized enterprises, are financed in Germany. The role of the German Mittelstand, both in a static and in a dynamic framework, is described and contrasted with that of the same size group in other leading industrialised countries. We find that in general, the Mittelstand has played a more important role in Germany than in other industrialized nations, such as the United States or the United Kingdom. The traditional success of the German Mittelstand is partly attributable to a system of finance that is richly layered by complementary institutions designed to meet the financial needs of both large and smaller enterprises. However, we find evidence that even under the German system of finance liquidity constraints exist and are greater for smaller firms. The German system of finance moreover seems particularly deficient in the channeling of funds to new firm startups in the newer industries. Copyright 1997 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mueller, Elisabeth & Zimmermann, Volker, 2006.
"The Importance of Equity Finance for R&D Activity: Are There Differences Between Young and OldCompanies?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-14, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Zimmermann, Volker & Mueller, Elisabeth, 2007. "The Importance of Equity Finance for R&D Activity: Are There Differences Between Young and OldCompanies?," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-014 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Mueller, Elisabeth & Zimmermann, Volker, 2008. "The importance of equity finance for R&D activity: are there differences between young and oldcompanies?," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-14 [rev.2], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- David Audretsch & Roy Thurik, 0000. "Sources of Growth," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 97-109/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Engel, Dirk & Middendorf, Torge, 2009.
"Investment, internal funds and public banking in Germany,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2132-2139, November.
- Dirk Engel & Torge Middendorf, 2007. "Investment, Internal Funds and Public Banking in Germany," Ruhr Economic Papers 0007, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Oleg Badunenko, 2010. "Downsizing in the German chemical manufacturing industry during the 1990s. Why is small beautiful?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 413-431, May.
- F. Voulgaris & D. Asteriou & G. Agiomirgianakis, 2004. "Size and Determinants of Capital Structure in the Greek Manufacturing Sector," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 247-262.
- Metzger, Georg, 2007.
"On the Role of Entrepreneurial Experience for Start-up Financing: An Empirical Investigation for Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
07-047, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Metzger, Georg, 2007. "On the Role of Entrepreneurial Experience for Start-up Financing: An Empirical Investigation for Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-047 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Domenico Sarno, 2007. "Financial structure and Southern Italy firms’ growth," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 2, May.
- Stolpe, Michael, 2003.
"Learning and Signalling in The French and German Venture Capital Industries,"
EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers
24, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Michael Stolpe, 2003. "Learning and Signalling in the French and German Venture Capital Industries," Kiel Working Papers 1156, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Elisabeth Müller & Volker Zimmermann, 2009. "The importance of equity finance for R&D activity," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 303-318, October.
- Ciarán mac an Bhaird & Brian Lucey, 2010. "Determinants of capital structure in Irish SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 357-375, October.
- Bartzokas, Anthony, 2001. "European Financial Markets after Emu: A Review of Recent Literature and Evidence," EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers 1, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Oleg Badunenko, 2007. "Downsizing in German Chemical Manufacturing Industry during the 1990s: Why Small Is Beautiful?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 722, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Michael Stolpe, 2004. "Europe's Entry into the Venture Capital Business: Efficiency and Policy," Kiel Working Papers 1223, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Alfred Haid, 2001. "Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Corporate Governance in Europe: Einführung," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(2), pages 193-200.
- Goldberg , Mike & Palladini, Eric, 2008. "Chile : a strategy to promote innovative small and medium enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4518, The World Bank.
- Orlin Todorov, 2005. "Certain Financial Problems the Small and Medium Enterprises Face in the Countries of the European Economic Area (EEA)," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 3, pages 103-123.
- Erik Lehmann & Juergen Weigand, 2000. "Does the Governed Corporation Perform Better? Governance Structures and Corporate Performance in Germany," CoFE Discussion Paper 00-05, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- World Bank, 2004. "Chile : A Strategy to Promote Innovative Small and Medium Enterprises," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14352, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.