Incubators: Tool for Entrepreneurship?
AbstractOne of the biggest barriers for the development of incubators in Europe is the lack of entrepreneurship and the underdevelopment of seed financing and business angel networks. While incubation is increasingly being used as a tool for promoting entrepreneurship and start-ups, leading to new policy incentives, the content of the concept is becoming more and more polysemic. Completely different approaches tend to be associated with the incubator concept, which hence becomes more of an umbrella concept. This paper aims to combine a conceptual analysis with an analysis of economic reality, both in the U.S.A. and in Europe. It warns against non-accurate evaluations of the impact of incubators if one does not take into account the different types of incubators. The paper focuses on the dynamic process of incubatio and concludes by underlining the importance of close links between incubators and business angels networks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Schwartz & Christoph Hornych, 2009. "Auf gute Nachbarschaft? Zentreninterne Netzwerkstrukturen und Determinanten von Wissenschaftskooperationen in deutschen Technologie- und Gründerzentren," IWH Discussion Papers 2, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Riddle, Liesl & Hrivnak, George A. & Nielsen, Tjai M., 2010. "Transnational diaspora entrepreneurship in emerging markets: Bridging institutional divides," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 398-411, December.
- Akcomak, Semih, 2009. "Incubators as Tools for Entrepreneurship Promotion in Developing Countries," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 054, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Jiang Ming Ji & Qing Yun Jiang, 2013. "Research on the Relationship between University-industry Collaboration Networks and Innovation Performance at Firm Level based on Complex Network Analysis," Journal of Business & Management (COES&RJ-JBM), , vol. 1(1), pages 28-49, January.
- Michael Schwartz, 2009. "Beyond incubation: an analysis of firm survival and exit dynamics in the post-graduation period," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 403-421, August.
- Junbo, Y. & Stough, R.R. & Nijkamp, P., 2008. "Governing Technological Entrepreneurship in China and the West," Serie Research Memoranda 0019, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Dimitrios Lagos & Konstadinos Koutsikos, 2011. "The Role of IT-Focused Business Indicators in Managing Regional Development and Innovation," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(3), pages 33-50.
- VANDERSTRAETEN, Johanna & MATTHYSSENS, Paul & VAN WITTELOOSTUIJN, Arjen, 2012. "Measuring the performance of business incubators," Working Papers 2012012, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Michael Schwartz & Maximilian Göthner, 2009. "A Novel Approach to Incubator Evaluations: The PROMETHEE Outranking Procedures," IWH Discussion Papers 1, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Thomas Hedner & Hanadi Almubaraki & Michael Busler & Adli Abouzeedan, 2011. "Business and Technology Incubators and their Role in the Nordic Countries in Comparison to the GCC countries: An Analysis of Current Affairs," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1283, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.