Incubators: Tool for Entrepreneurship?
AbstractOne of the biggest barriers for the development of incubators in Europe is the lack of entrepreneurship and the underdevelopment of seed financing and business angel networks. While incubation is increasingly being used as a tool for promoting entrepreneurship and start-ups, leading to new policy incentives, the content of the concept is becoming more and more polysemic. Completely different approaches tend to be associated with the incubator concept, which hence becomes more of an umbrella concept. This paper aims to combine a conceptual analysis with an analysis of economic reality, both in the U.S.A. and in Europe. It warns against non-accurate evaluations of the impact of incubators if one does not take into account the different types of incubators. The paper focuses on the dynamic process of incubatio and concludes by underlining the importance of close links between incubators and business angels networks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Danny Soetanto & Sarah Jack, 2013. "Business incubators and the networks of technology-based firms," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 432-453, August.
- Akcomak, Semih, 2009. "Incubators as Tools for Entrepreneurship Promotion in Developing Countries," MERIT Working Papers 054, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- repec:jso:coejbm:v:1:y:2013:i:1:p:28-49 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Schwartz & Maximilian Göthner, 2009. "A Novel Approach to Incubator Evaluations: The PROMETHEE Outranking Procedures," IWH Discussion Papers 1, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Michael Schwartz, 2013.
"A control group study of incubators’ impact to promote firm survival,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 302-331, June.
- Michael Schwartz, 2010. "A Control Group Study of Incubators’ Impact to Promote Firm Survival," IWH Discussion Papers 11, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Haifeng Qian & Kingsley Haynes, 2010. "Incubation Push or Business Pull? Investigating the Geography of US Business Incubators," Working Papers 201005, Regional Research Institute, West Virginia University.
- Riddle, Liesl & Hrivnak, George A. & Nielsen, Tjai M., 2010. "Transnational diaspora entrepreneurship in emerging markets: Bridging institutional divides," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 398-411, December.
- Junbo Yu & Mark Middleton & Randall Jackson, 2010. "Geography of Business Incubator Formation in the United States," Working Papers 201010, Regional Research Institute, West Virginia University.
- Junbo Yu & Peter Nijkamp, 2010. "Methodological Challenges and Institutional Barriers in the Use of Experimental Method for the Evaluation of Business Incubators: Lessons from the US, EU, and China," Working Papers 201004, Regional Research Institute, West Virginia University.
- Dimitrios Lagos & Konstadinos Koutsikos, 2011. "The Role of IT-Focused Business Indicators in Managing Regional Development and Innovation," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(3), pages 33-50.
- VANDERSTRAETEN, Johanna & MATTHYSSENS, Paul & VAN WITTELOOSTUIJN, Arjen, 2012. "Measuring the performance of business incubators," Working Papers 2012012, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Michael Schwartz, 2009. "Beyond incubation: an analysis of firm survival and exit dynamics in the post-graduation period," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 403-421, August.
- Junbo Yu & Mark Middleton & Randall Jackson, 2010. "Toward the Geography of Business Incubator Formation in the United States," Working Papers 201006, Regional Research Institute, West Virginia University.
- Heinrichs, Simon & Tischler, Joachim & Walter, Achim, 2014. "Leistungsprofile von Inkubatoren technologiebasierter Unternehmen: Eine empirische Bestandsaufnahme," EconStor Preprints 96158, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Junbo, Y. & Stough, R.R. & Nijkamp, P., 2008. "Governing Technological Entrepreneurship in China and the West," Serie Research Memoranda 0019, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Thomas Hedner & Hanadi Almubaraki & Michael Busler & Adli Abouzeedan, 2011. "Business and Technology Incubators and their Role in the Nordic Countries in Comparison to the GCC countries: An Analysis of Current Affairs," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1283, European Regional Science Association.
- José Barbero & José Casillas & Mike Wright & Alicia Ramos Garcia, 2014. "Do different types of incubators produce different types of innovations?," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 151-168, April.
- Catarina Roseira & Carla Ramos & Francisco Maia, 2014. "Understanding Incubator Value – A Network Approach to University Incubators," FEP Working Papers 532, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Sungur, Onur & Dulupçu, Murat Ali, 2013.
"İşletme Kuluçkaları ve Bölgesel Kalkınma: Kavramsal Çerçeve ve Literatür Bulguları
[Business Incubators and Regional Development: Conceptual Framework and Findings from the Literature]," MPRA Paper 51833, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Schwartz & Christoph Hornych, 2009. "Auf gute Nachbarschaft? Zentreninterne Netzwerkstrukturen und Determinanten von Wissenschaftskooperationen in deutschen Technologie- und Gründerzentren," IWH Discussion Papers 2, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Ernesto Tavoletti, 2013. "Business Incubators: Effective Infrastructures or Waste of Public Money? Looking for a Theoretical Framework, Guidelines and Criteria," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 423-443, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.