Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms
AbstractThis study compares the patterns of entry, survival and growth of domestic and foreign owned firms. We show that the post-entry behavior of foreign owned firms is quite different from that of their domestic counterparts. Among foreign entrants, we were able to distinguish between those which proceed by creating a new firm and those that acquire an already existing business. Our evidence reveals that the choice of the mode of entry in foreign markets exerts an impact upon the performance of firms that persists long after the moment of entry. As a consequence, our work clearly indicates that there is much to be gained in the understanding of the process of entry in foreign markets by studying the behavior of entrants over their first years in these markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3_4 (04)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
Other versions of this item:
- José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2002. "Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms," Working Papers w200204, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Norback, Pehr-Johan & Tekin-Koru, Ayca & Waldkirch, Andreas, 2013. "Multinational Firms and Plant Divestiture," MPRA Paper 45957, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bastié Françoise & Cieply Sylvie & Cussy Pascal, 2011. "The Survival of New Firms: Do Bank Loans at Birth Matter?," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201110, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2002.
"Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2002-14, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Crowd Out Domestic Entrepreneurship?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 67-84, February.
- Christian Bellak, 2004.
"How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does It Matter?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
wuwp087, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Christian Bellak, 2004. "How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does it Matter?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 483-514, 09.
- Christian Bellak, 2001. "Multinational Enterprises and Their Domestic Counterparts: Past Research, Current Issues and Future Directions," Working Papers geewp18, Vienna University of Economics Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Bonfim, Diana & Dias, Daniel A. & Richmond, Christine, 2012. "What happens after corporate default? Stylized facts on access to credit," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2007-2025.
- José García-Quevedo & Francisco Mas-Verdú & Daniel Montolio, 2011.
"What type of innovative firms acquire knowledge intensive services and from which suppliers?,"
2011/22, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- García-Quevedo, José & Mas-Verdú, Francisco & Montolio, Daniel, 2011. "What type of innovative firms acquire knowledge intensive services and from which suppliers?," INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series 201108, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV).
- Almeida, Rita, 2007.
"The labor market effects of foreign owned firms,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 75-96, May.
- Silviano Pérez & Amparo Llopis & Juan Llopis, 2004. "The Determinants of Survival of Spanish Manufacturing Firms," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 251-273, 08.
- Deschryvere, Matthias, 2008. "High Growth Firms and Job Creation in Finland," Discussion Papers 1144, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Rosina Moreno, 2005.
"Firm Competitive Strategies And The Likelihood Of Survival - The Spanish Case,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa05p347, European Regional Science Association.
- Raquel Ortega-ArgilÃ©s & Rosina Moreno, 2007. "Firm Competitive Strategies and the Likelihood of Survival. The Spanish Case," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2007-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Richard I.D. Harris & Qian Cher Li, .
"Export-market dynamics and the probability of firm closure: Evidence for the UK,"
2008_17, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Harris, Richard I.D. & Li, Qian Cher, 2008. "Export-market dynamics and the probability of firm closure: Evidence for the UK," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-28, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Almeida, Rita K., 2003. "The Effects of Foreign Owned Firms on the Labor Market," IZA Discussion Papers 785, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ergun Dogan & Koi Nyen Wong & Michael Meow-Chung Yap, 2010. "Turnover, Ownership and Productivity in Malaysian Manufacturing," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series 13-10, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Silviano Esteve-Pérez & Amparo Sanchis-Llopis & Juan Sanchis-Llopis, 2010. "A competing risks analysis of firms’ exit," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 281-304, April.
- Mamede, Ricardo, 2005. "Brand effects, mobility costs and industry evolution," MPRA Paper 3998, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas & Ricardo Paes Mamede, 2008. "Structural Transformation and the role of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal: a descriptive analysis for the period 1990-2005," GEE Papers 0009, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Dec 2008.
- Koen de Backer, 2002. "Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?," Economics Working Papers 618, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.