Ranking Journals Using Social Science Research Network Downloads
AbstractI use a new approach to rank journals, namely the number and percent frequency of articles a journal publishes that are heavily downloaded from the Social Science Research Network (SSRN). I rank 18 accounting and finance journals, and I identify five journals not considered by the two most recent major published ranking studies of publications by accounting faculty, namely (in rank order): Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Accounting Studies, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Journal of Corporate Finance, and Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting. I show that financial accounting faculties are more likely to post their working papers to SSRN, and papers posted by financial faculties generate more downloads. I mitigate this bias in favor of the financial area by providing separate rankings based on authors in the financial versus non-financial areas. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting.
Volume (Year): 20 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102990
You can help add them by filling out this form.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- João Lunkes Rogério & Ripoll Feliu Vicente M. & Silva Da Rosa Fabricia, 2012. "Pesquisa científica em contabilidade gerencial: estudo comparativo entre Espanha e Brasil," Contaduría y Administración:Revista Internacional, Accounting and Management: International Journal, vol. 57(2), pages 159-184, abril-jun.
- Lawrence Brown & Indrarini Laksmana, 2007. "Accounting Ph.D. program graduates: affiliation performance and publication performance," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 285-313, October.
- Millet-Reyes, Benedicte, 2013. "The impact of citations in International Finance," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 129-139.
- Currie, Russell R. & Pandher, Gurupdesh S., 2011. "Finance journal rankings and tiers: An Active Scholar Assessment methodology," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 7-20, January.
- Chan, Kam C. & Chan, Kam C. & Seow, Gim S. & Tam, Kinsun, 2009. "Ranking accounting journals using dissertation citation analysis: A research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 34(6-7), pages 875-885, August.
- Bonner, Sarah E. & Hesford, James W. & Van der Stede, Wim A. & Young, S. Mark, 2006. "The most influential journals in academic accounting," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 663-685, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.