Foreign Direct Investment, Imports and Innovations in the Service Industry
AbstractThe paper analyses for the first time empirically the impact of foreign competition due to inward foreign direct investment and imports on the innovation activities using data of German service firms. Based on the hypothesis that foreign competition has a disciplining effect on domestic markets derived from the manufacturing sector, a positive impact can be expected on innovation in the service sector, while other theoretical considerations do not absolutely support this optimistic view. In the empirical analysis, variants of two probit models are estimated for a sample of 2,019 service firms to explain their product and process innovation activities. The results show that both foreign direct investment and imports have highly significant positive effects on product and process innovations. Vice versa, the export and foreign production activities of domestic firms support innovations, too. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 25 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
Foreign direct investment; foreign trade; innovation; market structure; probit estimation; services;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Priit Vahter, 2010.
"Does FDI spur innovation, productivity and knowledge sourcing by incumbent firms? Evidence from manufacturing industry in Estonia,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp986, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Priit Vahter, . "Does FDI spur innovation, productivity and knowledge sourcing by incumbent firms? Evidence from manufacturing industry in Estonia," Discussion Papers 10/09, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Priit Vahter, 2010. "Does Fdi Spur Innovation, Productivity And Knowledge Sourcing By Incumbent Firms? Evidence From Manufacturing Industry In Estonia," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 69, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2010.
"Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents,"
KIER Working Papers
721, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2013. "Globalization and knowledge spillover: international direct investment, exports and patents," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 329-352, June.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," Working Papers in Economics 10/54, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2012. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2012-16, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Chang, C-L. & Chang, S.P. & McAleer, M.J., 2010. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-55, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Love, James H. & Ganotakis, Panagiotis, 2013. "Learning by exporting: Lessons from high-technology SMEs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-17.
- Stiebale, Joel & Reize, Frank, 2011. "The impact of FDI through mergers and acquisitions on innovation in target firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 155-167, March.
- Martin Woerter & Stephen Roper, 2008.
"Openness and Innovation - Home and Export Demand Effects on Manufacturing Innovation: Panel Data Evidence for Ireland and Switzerland,"
KOF Working papers
08-210, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Woerter, Martin & Roper, Stephen, 2010. "Openness and innovation--Home and export demand effects on manufacturing innovation: Panel data evidence for Ireland and Switzerland," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 155-164, February.
- Richard Harris & John Moffat, 2011.
"R&D, innovation and exporting,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
33593, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Shin, Inyong & Kim, Hyunho, 2010. "The effect of subsidy policies on the product quality improvement," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 687-696, May.
- Love, James H. & Roper, Stephen & Bryson, John R., 2011. "Openness, knowledge, innovation and growth in UK business services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 1438-1452.
- Stiebale, Joel, 2012. "Cross-Border M&A and Innovative Activity: Firm-Level Evidence," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62027, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Armando Silva & Ana Paula Africano & Oscar Afonso, 2009. "Which Portuguese firms are more innovative? The importance of multinationals and exporters," FEP Working Papers 326, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Joel Stiebale, 2010. "The Impact of Foreign Acquisitions on the Investors‘ R&D Activities – Firm-level Evidence," Ruhr Economic Papers 0161, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.