Strategic Pricing when Electricity is Storable
AbstractIn this paper, we develop a simplified oligopoly model where hydro generators engage in dynamic Bertrand competition. Each player uses a Markov strategy based on the state of water reservoirs at the beginning of each period. The replenishing of water reservoirs, which affects generators' productive capacity, is governed by a stochastic process. Also, a price cap, i.e. a maximum bid allowed, is imposed on the market. We develop valuable insights for regulatory policy in predominantly hydro based electricity markets, including the effects of price caps, the efficiency of dispatch under strategic behavior and the likelihood of collusion. Copyright 2001 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- van Ackere, Ann & Ochoa, Patricia, 2010. "Managing a hydro-energy reservoir: A policy approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7299-7311, November.
- Petter Vegard Hansen, 2007.
"Inflow Uncertainty in Hydropower Markets,"
520, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Stefan Ambec & Claude Crampes, 2010. "Electricity Production with Intermittent Sources of Energy," LERNA Working Papers 10.07.313, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Wolf-Peter Schill & Claudia Kemfert, 2009. "The Effect of Market Power on Electricity Storage Utilization: The Case of Pumped Hydro Storage in Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 947, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Abdessalem Abbassi & Ahlem Dakhlaoui & Lota D.Tamini, 2014. "Risk Aversion and Dynamic Games Between Hydroelectric Operators under Uncertainty," Cahiers de recherche CREATE 2014-4, CREATE.
- Talat S. Genc & Henry Thille, 2009.
"Investment in Electricity Markets with Asymmetric Technologies,"
0909, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Genc, Talat S. & Thille, Henry, 2011. "Investment in electricity markets with asymmetric technologies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 379-387, May.
- Talat S. Genc & Henry Thille, 2009. "Investment in Electricity Markets with Asymmetric Technologies," Working Papers 0909, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Rangel, Luiz Fernando, 2008. "Competition policy and regulation in hydro-dominated electricity markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1292-1302, April.
- Christou, Charalambos & Kotseva, Rossitsa & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2007. "Pricing, Investments and Mergers with Intertemporal Capacity Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 6433, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James J. Anton & Gary Biglaiser & Nikolaos Vettas, 2012. "Dynamic Price Competition with Capacity Constraints and a Strategic Buyer," Levine's Working Paper Archive 786969000000000614, David K. Levine.
- Hoel, Michael, 2004. "Electricity prices in a mixed thermal and hydropower system," Memorandum 28/2004, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Ambec, Stefan & Crampes, Claude, 2012. "Electricity provision with intermittent sources of energy," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 319-336.
- Garcia-Diaz, Anton & Marin, Pedro L., 2003. "Strategic bidding in electricity pools with short-lived bids: an application to the Spanish market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 201-222, February.
- Tangerås, Thomas P. & Mauritzen, Johannes, 2014.
"Real-time versus day-ahead market power in a hydro-based electricity market,"
2014/6, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Mauritzen, Johannes & Tangerås, Thomas, 2014. "Real-time versus Day-ahead Market Power in a Hydro-based Electricity Market," Working Paper Series 1009, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Charalambos Christou & Rossitsa Kotseva & Nikolaos Vettas, 2009. "Pricing, Investments and Mergers with Intertemporal Capacity Constraints," Discussion Paper Series 2009_06, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Mar 2009.
- BOBTCHEFF Catherine, 2006. "Optimal Dynamic Management of a Renewable Energy Source under Uncertainty," LERNA Working Papers 06.21.214, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.