Prices and Outputs under Cable TV Reregulation
AbstractCable television reregulation in October 1992 did succeed in constraining subscriber bills about 9% below trend by October 1994. Yet, the growth rate of basic cable television subscribership fell sharply during the period of rate reductions. Only when real rates began rising in the period following October 1994--after an explicit relaxation of controls--did reliable industry output measures return to the pre-regulation growth trend. These data suggest that rate regulation becomes substantially less viable as the complexity of the regulated good increases. Copyright 1997 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arthur Havenner & Thomas Hazlett & Zhiqiang Leng, 2001. "The Effects of Rate Regulation on Mean Returns and Non-Diversifiable Risk: The Case of Cable Television," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 149-164, September.
- John S. Ying & Mary T. Kelly, 2007.
"Testing the Effectiveness of Regulation and Competition on Cable Television Rates,"
07-07, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Mary T. Kelly & John S. Ying, 2009. "Testing the Effectiveness of Regulation and Competition on Cable Television Rates," Villanova School of Business Department of Economics and Statistics Working Paper Series 3, Villanova School of Business Department of Economics and Statistics.
- Kasuga, Norihro & Manabu, Shishikura & Masanori, Kondo, 2007. "Platform Competition in Pay-TV Market," MPRA Paper 5694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mary T. Kelly & John S. Ying, 2013. "Testing the Effectiveness of Regulation and Competition on Cable Television Rates," Working Papers 13-06, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.