Science Parks and the Development of NTBFs-- Location, Survival and Growth
AbstractThis study investigates survival and growth of NTBFs located on and off two Swedish science parks. We find that firms located on science parks have significantly higher survival rates than off-park firms. However, we observe insignificant differences in sales and employment. Wider variation in the growth rates of firms located on parks together with the better survival suggests that the science parks may be providing favorable locations for NTBFs in a range of development phases. The image benefit associated with a science park location is not helpful in explaining growth, whereas a location benefit associated with cooperation with universities is positively associated with growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Journal of Technology Transfer.
Volume (Year): 29 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=104998
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yongming Huang & David Audretsch & Megan Hewitt, 2013. "Chinese technology transfer policy: the case of the national independent innovation demonstration zone of East Lake," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 38(6), pages 828-835, December.
- Michael Schwartz, 2013.
"A control group study of incubators’ impact to promote firm survival,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 302-331, June.
- Michael Schwartz, 2010. "A Control Group Study of Incubators’ Impact to Promote Firm Survival," IWH Discussion Papers 11, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Michael Schwartz & Christoph Hornych, 2008. "Technologie- und Gründerzentren im Lichte von Diversifizierung versus Spezialisierung," IWH Discussion Papers 7, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Squicciarini, Mariagrazia, 2009. "Science parks, knowledge spillovers, and firms' innovative performance: evidence from Finland," Economics Discussion Papers 2009-32, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Catarina Roseira & Carla Ramos & Francisco Maia, 2014. "Understanding Incubator Value – A Network Approach to University Incubators," FEP Working Papers 532, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Fukugawa, Nobuya, 2006. "Science parks in Japan and their value-added contributions to new technology-based firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 381-400, March.
- Kuo-Feng Huang & Chwo-Ming Yu & Dah-Hsian Seetoo, 2012. "Firm innovation in policy-driven parks and spontaneous clusters: the smaller firm the better?," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 37(5), pages 715-731, October.
- Filippo Barbera & Sara Fassero, 2013. "The place-based nature of technological innovation: the case of Sophia Antipolis," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 216-234, June.
- Lee, Lena & Wong, Poh Kam, 2006. "How does An Entrepreneur’s Ability Influence the Propensity to Exploit Novel Opportunities? The Moderating Role of Personality and Environment," MPRA Paper 597, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Avenel, E. & Corolleur, F. & Gauthier, C. & Rieu, C., 2005. "Start-ups, firm growth and the consolidation of the French biotech industry," Working Papers 200503, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Panagiotis Ganotakis, 2012. "Founders’ human capital and the performance of UK new technology based firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 495-515, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.