Regional Innovation Systems: General Findings and Some New Evidence from Biotechnology Clusters
AbstractThis paper focuses on interactive innovation. It starts by operationalising Regional Innovation in the context of multi-level governance. It shows how regional and external innovation interaction among firms and other innovation organizations is important for regional innovation potential. The ability to access and use funding for innovation support for regional firms and organizations is crucial for regional innovation promotion. Equity investment funding is more important than public funding, which tends to be cautious and otherwise risk avoiding, except in circumstances of market arrest or failure to develop. Regional systems of innovation are broader than single sectors or clusters but some of these will be strategically privileged recipients of policy support because of their growth performance or potential, rather than, as in the past, their uncompetitiveness. The paper devotes space to exploring biotechnology clustering from a regional innovation systems viewpoint, as an instance of rather strong sectoral, regional innovation systems capabilities, though integrated also to global knowledge supply and markets. Illustration is provided of the way such sectoral innovation systems work at local regional level by reference to cases from Cambridge, Massachusetts and Cambridge, England. Copyright 2002 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Technology Transfer.
Volume (Year): 27 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=104998
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Keskin, Hidayet & Sungur, Onur, 2010.
"Bölgesel Politika Ekseninde Yaşanan Dönüşüm: Türkiye’de Kalkınma Planlarında Bölgesel Politikaların Değişimi
[Transformation in Regional Policy: Changes in Regional Policies in Devel," MPRA Paper 46574, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chaminade, Cristina & Intarakumnerd, Patarapong & Sapprasert, Koson, 2012.
"Measuring systemic problems in National Innovation Systems. An application to Thailand,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1476-1488.
- Chaminade , Cristina & Intarakumnerd, Patarapong & Sapprasert , Koson, 2013. "Measuring systemic problems in national innovation systems. An application to Thailand," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/31, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Jan Stejskal & Katerina Matatkova, 2011. "The Analysis Of The Regional Innovation Systems Â€“ Czech Case," ERSA conference papers ersa11p61, European Regional Science Association.
- Breznitz, Shiri M. & Tahvanainen, Antti-Jussi, 2010. "Cluster Sustainability in Peripheral Regions: A case study on Israel's and Finland's biotechnology industries," Discussion Papers 1212, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Knut Koschatzky & Vivien Lo, 2004. "Multi-actor regional governance: regions as new players for innovation in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa04p140, European Regional Science Association.
- De Prato, Giuditta & Nepelski, Daniel, 2012. "Global technological collaboration network. Network analysis of international co-inventions," MPRA Paper 38818, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Heshmati, Almas & Lenz-Cesar, Flávio, 2013. "Determinants and Policy Simulation of Firms Cooperation in Innovation," IZA Discussion Papers 7487, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.