Insurance with Undiversifiable Risk: Contract Structure and Organizational Form of Insurance Firms
AbstractPrevious explanations of the contract choice and organizational form of insurance firms do not explain, by themselves, the recent proliferation of mutuals and new contract designs. We first present risk-bearing arguments to address these phenomena. We present two forms of insurance. The first is a conventional transfer of risk whereas the second decomposes risk between idiosyncratic and nonidiosyncratic. We show that the latter form leads to more active trade in insurance markets with correlated exposures. Moreover, the decomposed form dominates the simple transfer. These results qualify and extend the work of Borch (1962) and Marshall (1974). Market responses to the recent "liability insurance crisis" are compatible with these predictions. Copyright 1993 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Risk and Uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 6 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100299
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nell, Martin & Richter, Andreas, 2002. "Improving risk allocation through cat bonds," Working Papers on Risk and Insurance 10, University of Hamburg, Institute for Risk and Insurance.
- Capitanio, F. & Adinolfi, Felice & Di Pasquale, J. & ContÃ², F., 2013. "Â¿CuÃ¡les son los determinantes de la demanda de seguros agrÃcolas en Italia?," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 13(1).
- J. David Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & Abdelhakim Nouira, 2006.
"Efficiency of Insurance Firms with Endogenous Risk Management and Financial Intermediation Activities,"
Cahiers de recherche
- J. Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & A. Nouira, 2009. "Efficiency of insurance firms with endogenous risk management and financial intermediation activities," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 145-159, October.
- J. David Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & Abdelhakim Nouira, 2006. "Efficiency of Insurance Firms with Endogenous Risk Management and Financial Intermediation Activities," Cahiers de recherche 06-06, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Bourlès, Renaud, 2007.
"On the Emergence of Private Insurance in Presence of Mutual Agreements,"
5821, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Renaud Bourlès, 2006. "How Can Insurance Companies Compete With MutualInsurers? The Role of Commitment," Working Papers halshs-00410765, HAL.
- Nell, Martin & Richter, Andreas, 2004. "Catastrophic events as threats to society: Private and public risk management strategies," Working Papers on Risk and Insurance 12, University of Hamburg, Institute for Risk and Insurance.
- J. David Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & Abdelhakim Nouira, 2008. "The Costs and Benefits of Reinsurance," Cahiers de recherche 08-04, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Kleffner, A. E. & N. A. Doherty, 1994. "The Effect of Costly Risk Bearing on Insurers' Supply Decisions," Working Papers 022, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Martin Boyer & Karine Gobert, 2009. "Professional Liability Insurance Contracts: Claims Made Versus Occurrence Policies," Cahiers de recherche 09-03, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Kunreuther, Howard & Meszaros, Jacqueline & Hogarth, Robin M. & Spranca, Mark, 1995. "Ambiguity and underwriter decision processes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 337-352, May.
- F. Barigozzi & R. Bourles & D. Henriet & G. Pignataro, 2011.
"Improving Compliance With Preventive Care: Cooperation in Mutual Health Insurance,"
wp765, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Francesca Barigozzi & Renaud Bourlès & Dominique Henriet & Giuseppe Pignataro, 2011. "Risk-sharing with self-insurance: the role of cooperation," Working Papers halshs-00605267, HAL.
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Robert Kast, 2008.
"Using participating and financial contracts to insure catastrophe risk: Implications for crop risk management,"
08-01, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Jan 2008.
- Enjolras, Geoffroy & Kast, Robert, 2007. "Using participating and financial contracts to insure catastrophe risk: Implications for crop risk management," 101st Seminar, July 5-6, 2007, Berlin Germany 9268, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Harrington, Scott E. & Danzon, Patricia M. & Epstein, Andrew J., 2008. ""Crises" in medical malpractice insurance: Evidence of excessive price-cutting in the preceding soft market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 157-169, January.
- Anne E. Kleffner & Neil A. Doherty, 1994. "The Effect Of Costly Risk Bearing On Insurers' Supply Decisions," Risk and Insurance 9407005, EconWPA.
- Bender, Klaus & Richter, Andreas, 2002. "Optimales Vertragsdesign bei moralischem Risiko in der Rückversicherung," Working Papers on Risk and Insurance 9, University of Hamburg, Institute for Risk and Insurance.
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Robert Kast, 2012. "Combining participating insurance and financial policies: A new risk management instrument against natural disasters in agriculture," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 72(1), pages 156-178, March.
- Georges Dionne & Nathalie Fombaron & Neil Doherty, 2012. "Adverse Selection in Insurance Contracting," Cahiers de recherche 1231, CIRPEE.
- Fabrice Roth, 1998. "Structures de propriété, pouvoir discrétionnaire managérial et choix d'activité dans l'assurance dommages en France," Working Papers CREGO 0980301, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Laux, Christian & Muermann, Alexander, 2010. "Financing risk transfer under governance problems: Mutual versus stock insurers," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 333-354, July.
- José Penalva, 2003. "Implications of dynamic trading for insurance markets," Economics Working Papers 720, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Laux, Christian & Muermann, Alexander, 2006. "Mutual versus stock insurers: Fair premium, capital, and solvency," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/26, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.