Insurance with Undiversifiable Risk: Contract Structure and Organizational Form of Insurance Firms
AbstractPrevious explanations of the contract choice and organizational form of insurance firms do not explain, by themselves, the recent proliferation of mutuals and new contract designs. We first present risk-bearing arguments to address these phenomena. We present two forms of insurance. The first is a conventional transfer of risk whereas the second decomposes risk between idiosyncratic and nonidiosyncratic. We show that the latter form leads to more active trade in insurance markets with correlated exposures. Moreover, the decomposed form dominates the simple transfer. These results qualify and extend the work of Borch (1962) and Marshall (1974). Market responses to the recent "liability insurance crisis" are compatible with these predictions. Copyright 1993 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Risk and Uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 6 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100299
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Robert Kast, 2008.
"Using participating and financial contracts to insure catastrophe risk: Implications for crop risk management,"
08-01, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Jan 2008.
- Enjolras, Geoffroy & Kast, Robert, 2007. "Using participating and financial contracts to insure catastrophe risk: Implications for crop risk management," 101st Seminar, July 5-6, 2007, Berlin Germany 9268, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Laux, Christian & Muermann, Alexander, 2006. "Mutual versus stock insurers: Fair premium, capital, and solvency," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/26, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Capitanio, F. & Adinolfi, Felice & Di Pasquale, J. & ContÃ², F., 2013. "Â¿CuÃ¡les son los determinantes de la demanda de seguros agrÃcolas en Italia?," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 13(1).
- Martin Boyer & Karine Gobert, 2009. "Professional Liability Insurance Contracts: Claims Made Versus Occurrence Policies," Cahiers de recherche 09-03, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Bender, Klaus & Richter, Andreas, 2002. "Optimales Vertragsdesign bei moralischem Risiko in der Rückversicherung," Working Papers on Risk and Insurance 9, University of Hamburg, Institute for Risk and Insurance.
- Bourlès, Renaud, 2007.
"On the Emergence of Private Insurance in Presence of Mutual Agreements,"
5821, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Renaud Bourlès, 2006. "How Can Insurance Companies Compete With MutualInsurers? The Role of Commitment," Working Papers halshs-00410765, HAL.
- Nell, Martin & Richter, Andreas, 2004. "Catastrophic events as threats to society: Private and public risk management strategies," Working Papers on Risk and Insurance 12, University of Hamburg, Institute for Risk and Insurance.
- J. Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & A. Nouira, 2009.
"Efficiency of insurance firms with endogenous risk management and financial intermediation activities,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 145-159, October.
- J. David Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & Abdelhakim Nouira, 2006. "Efficiency of Insurance Firms with Endogenous Risk Management and Financial Intermediation Activities," Cahiers de recherche 0616, CIRPEE.
- J. David Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & Abdelhakim Nouira, 2006. "Efficiency of Insurance Firms with Endogenous Risk Management and Financial Intermediation Activities," Cahiers de recherche 06-06, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- F. Barigozzi & R. Bourles & D. Henriet & G. Pignataro, 2011.
"Improving Compliance With Preventive Care: Cooperation in Mutual Health Insurance,"
wp765, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Francesca Barigozzi & Renaud Bourlès & Dominique Henriet & Giuseppe Pignataro, 2011. "Risk-sharing with self-insurance: the role of cooperation," Working Papers halshs-00605267, HAL.
- Kleffner, A. E. & N. A. Doherty, 1994. "The Effect of Costly Risk Bearing on Insurers' Supply Decisions," Working Papers 022, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Fabrice Roth, 1998. "Structures de propriété, pouvoir discrétionnaire managérial et choix d'activité dans l'assurance dommages en France," Working Papers FARGO 0980301, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Anne E. Kleffner & Neil A. Doherty, 1994. "The Effect Of Costly Risk Bearing On Insurers' Supply Decisions," Risk and Insurance 9407005, EconWPA.
- Georges Dionne & Nathalie Fombaron & Neil Doherty, 2012. "Adverse Selection in Insurance Contracting," Cahiers de recherche 1231, CIRPEE.
- Harrington, Scott E. & Danzon, Patricia M. & Epstein, Andrew J., 2008. ""Crises" in medical malpractice insurance: Evidence of excessive price-cutting in the preceding soft market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 157-169, January.
- J. David Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & Abdelhakim Nouira, 2008. "The Costs and Benefits of Reinsurance," Cahiers de recherche 08-04, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- José Penalva, 2003. "Implications of dynamic trading for insurance markets," Economics Working Papers 720, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Laux, Christian & Muermann, Alexander, 2010. "Financing risk transfer under governance problems: Mutual versus stock insurers," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 333-354, July.
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Robert Kast, 2012. "Combining participating insurance and financial policies: A new risk management instrument against natural disasters in agriculture," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 72(1), pages 156-178, March.
- Kunreuther, Howard & Meszaros, Jacqueline & Hogarth, Robin M. & Spranca, Mark, 1995. "Ambiguity and underwriter decision processes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 337-352, May.
- Nell, Martin & Richter, Andreas, 2002. "Improving risk allocation through cat bonds," Working Papers on Risk and Insurance 10, University of Hamburg, Institute for Risk and Insurance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.