The Effect of Information on Health Risk Valuations
AbstractThis article examines the effect of familiarity with chronic lung disease on people's willingness to pay to reduce their risk of contracting chronic bronchitis, and on their willingness to increase their risk of auto death to reduce chronic bronchitis risk. The authors find that persons who have a relative with chronic lung disease are willing to give up more income to reduce their risk of chronic bronchitis than persons with no first-hand knowledge of the disease; however, their willingness to increase their risk of auto death to reduce their risk of chronic bronchitis is no different, on average, than persons with no first-hand knowledge of lung disease. This suggests that responses to risk-risk tradeoffs may be more stable than responses to risk-income choices. Copyright 1992 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Risk and Uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 5 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100299
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blackman, Allen & Chandru, Santosh & Mendoza-Dominguez, Alberto & Russell, A.G., 2012.
"Health Impacts of Power-Exporting Plants in Northern Mexico,"
dp-11-18-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Blackman, Allen & Chandru, Santosh & Mendoza-Domínguez, Alberto & Russell, A.G., 2012. "Health impacts of power-exporting plants in northern Mexico," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 34-45.
- Blackman, Allen & Chandru, Santosh & Mendoza-Domínguez, Alberto & Russell, A.G., 2012. "Health Impacts of Power-Exporting Plants in Northern Mexico," Discussion Papers dp-11-03-rev-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Klose, Thomas, 1999. "The contingent valuation method in health care," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 97-123, May.
- Burtraw, Dallas & Krupnick, Alan, 1999. "Measuring the Value of Health Improvements from Great Lakes Cleanup," Discussion Papers dp-99-34, Resources For the Future.
- McCubbin, Donald R. & Delucchi, Mark A., 1996. "The Social Cost of the Health Effects of Motor-Vehicle Air Pollution," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt5jm6d2tc, University of California Transportation Center.
- Strand.J., 2001.
"Public- and private-good values of statistical lives : results from a combined choice-experiment and contingent-valuation survey,"
31/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Strand, Jon, 2009. "Public- and private-good values of statistical lives Results from a combined choice-experiment and contingent-valuation survey," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2002:2, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Kenkel, Don, 1997. "On valuing morbidity, cost-effectiveness analysis, and being rude," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 749-757, December.
- Luis A. Cifuentes & Alan J. Krupnick & Raúl O'Ryan & Michael Toman, 2005.
"Urban Air Quality and Human Health in Latin America and the Caribbean,"
25378, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Luis A. Cifuentes & Alan J. Krupnick & Ra�l O'Ryan & Michael A. Toman, 2005. "Urban Air Quality and Human Health in Latin America and the Caribbean," Documentos de Trabajo 212, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Rowe, Robert D. & Lang, Carolyn M. & Chestnut, Lauraine G., 1996. "Critical factors in computing externalities for electricity resources," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 363-394, December.
- Viscusi, W Kip, 1993. "The Value of Risks to Life and Health," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1912-46, December.
- Bosworth, Ryan & Cameron, Trudy Ann & DeShazo, J.R., 2009. "Demand for environmental policies to improve health: Evaluating community-level policy scenarios," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 293-308, May.
- O'Conor, Richard M. & Blomquist, Glenn C., 1997. "Measurement of consumer-patient preferences using a hybrid contingent valuation method," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 667-683, December.
- Hamilton, Stephen F. & Sunding, David L. & Zilberman, David, 2003. "Public goods and the value of product quality regulations: the case of food safety," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3-4), pages 799-817, March.
- Paul R. Portney, 1994. "The Contingent Valuation Debate: Why Economists Should Care," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 3-17, Fall.
- Kuchler, Fred, 2001. "Valuing the Health Benefits of Food Safety: A Proceedings," Miscellaneous Publications 33550, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Lutter, Randall, 1998. "An Analysis of the Use of EPA's Clean Air Benefit Estimates in OMB's Draft Report on the Costs and Benefits of Regulation," Working paper 352, Regulation2point0.
- George Houtven & Melonie Sullivan & Chris Dockins, 2008. "Cancer premiums and latency effects: A risk tradeoff approach for valuing reductions in fatal cancer risks," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 179-199, April.
- F. Reed Johnson & Melissa Ruby Banzhaf & William H. Desvousges, 2000. "Willingness to pay for improved respiratory and cardiovascular health: a multiple-format, stated-preference approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 295-317.
- Ana M. Guerrero & Carmen Herrero Blanco, 1999. "-Time Preference And Individual Health Profiles," Working Papers. Serie AD 1999-20, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Krupnick, Alan & Toman, Michael & Kopp, Raymond, 1997. "Cost-Benefit Analysis and Regulatory Reform: An Assessment of the Science and Art," Discussion Papers dp-97-19, Resources For the Future.
- DREZE , Jacques H. & RUSTICHINI, Aldo, 2000. "State-dependent utility and decision theory," CORE Discussion Papers 2000007, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jorge E. Ara�a & Carmelo J. León, 2002. "Willingness to pay for health risk reduction in the context of altruism," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(7), pages 623-635.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.