On the Definition and Age-Dependency of the Value of a Statistical Life
AbstractThe value of preventing a fatality or (saving) a statistical life is an important question in health economics as well as environmental economics. This paper adds new insights to several of the issues discussed in the literature. It is shown that the conventional way of measuring the value of a statistical life yields a biased estimate, in general. The major exception is the case where the estimate can be based on an infinitely short drop in the hazard rate. This is so in both life cycle models with and without actuarially fair annuities. Moreover, the claim that there are strong theoretical reasons for believing that the value of statistical life declines with age is shown to be wrong. Copyright 2002 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Risk and Uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 25 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100299
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ryan Edwards, 2013. "The cost of uncertain life span," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 1485-1522, October.
- Michael Kuhn & Stefan Wrzaczek & Alexia Prskawetz & Gustav Feichtinger, 2010.
"Externalities in a Life-Cycle Model with Endogenous Survival,"
1001, Vienna Institute of Demography (VID) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna.
- Kuhn, Michael & Wrzaczek, Stefan & Prskawetz, Alexia & Feichtinger, Gustav, 2011. "Externalities in a life cycle model with endogenous survival," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(4-5), pages 627-641.
- Kip Viscusi, W. & Aldy, Joseph E., 2007.
"Labor market estimates of the senior discount for the value of statistical life,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 377-392, May.
- Viscusi, W. Kip & Aldy, Joseph, 2006. "Labor Market Estimates of the Senior Discount for the Value of Statistical Life," Discussion Papers dp-06-12, Resources For the Future.
- Hammitt, James & Roman, Henry & Stieb, David & Walsh, Tyra, 2012.
"Expert Elicitation of the Value per Statistical Life in an Air Pollution Context,"
LERNA Working Papers
12.10.367, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Hammitt, James & Roman, Henry & Stieb, David & Walsh, Tyra, 2012. "Expert Elicitation of the Value per Statistical Life in an Air Pollution Context," TSE Working Papers 12-290, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Johansson-Stenman, Olof & Martinsson, Peter, 2008. "Are some lives more valuable? An ethical preferences approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 739-752, May.
- Antoine Bommier & Bertrand Villeneuve, 2004.
"Risk Aversion and the Value of Risk to Life,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1267, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bommier, Antoine & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2008. "Risk Aversion and the Value of Risk to Life," MPRA Paper 11943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand & Bommier, Antoine, 2012. "Risk Aversion and the Value of Risk to Life," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4812, Paris Dauphine University.
- Antoine Bommier & Bertrand Villeneuve, 2010. "Risk Aversion and the Value of Risk to Life," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 10/133, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Thomas J. Kniesner & James P. Ziliak & W. Kip Viscusi, 2004.
"Life-Cycle Consumption and the Age-Adjusted Value of Life,"
NBER Working Papers
10266, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kniesner Thomas J & Viscusi W. Kip & Ziliak James P, 2006. "Life-Cycle Consumption and the Age-Adjusted Value of Life," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-36, January.
- Joseph E. Aldy & W. Kip Viscusi, 2004. "Age Variations in Workers' Value of Statistical Life," NBER Working Papers 10199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antoine Bommier, 2005. "Life-Cycle Theory for Human Beings," Working Papers hal-00441890, HAL.
- Andrea Leiter, 2011. "Age effects in monetary valuation of reduced mortality risks: the relevance of age-specific hazard rates," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 331-344, August.
- Strand, Jon, 2006. "Valuation of environmental improvements in continuous time with mortality and morbidity effects," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 229-241, August.
- Myers, Robert J., 2006. "On the costs of food price fluctuations in low-income countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 288-301, August.
- Bleichrodt, Han & Eeckhoudt, Louis, 2006. "Survival risks, intertemporal consumption, and insurance: The case of distorted probabilities," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 335-346, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.