Increasing Risk: Some Direct Constructions
AbstractThis article extends the classic Rothschild-Stiglitz characterization of comparative risk ("increasing risk") in two directions. By adopting a more general definition of "mean preserving spread" (MPS), it provides a direct construction of a sequence of MPS's linking any pair of distributions that are ranked in terms of comparative risk. It also provides a direct, explicit construction of a zero-conditional-mean "noise" variable for any such pair of distributions. Both results are extended to the case of second order stochastic dominance. Copyright 1997 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Risk and Uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 14 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100299
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John W. Pratt, 2008. "Some neglected axioms in fair division," Harvard Business School Working Papers 08-094, Harvard Business School.
- Jean-Philippe Platteau & Vincent Somville & Zaki Wahhaj, 2013.
"Elite Capture Through Information Distortion: A Theoretical Essay,"
Studies in Economics
1305, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Platteau, Jean-Philippe & Somville, Vincent & Wahhaj, Zaki, 2014. "Elite capture through information distortion: A theoretical essay," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 250-263.
- Jean-Philippe Platteau & Vincent Somville & Zaki Wahhaj, 2011. "Elite Capture Through Information Distortion: A Theoretical Essay," Working Papers 1103, University of Namur, Department of Economics.
- Ozlem Ozdemir & Andrea Morone, 2014. "An experimental investigation of insurance decisions in low probability and high loss risk situations," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 53-67, April.
- Marco Dall’Aglio & Marco Scarsini, 2000. "Zonoids, Linear Dependence, and Size-Biased Distributions on the Simplex," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 27-2003, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research, revised Jul 2003.
- Müller, Alfred & Scarsini, Marco, 2012. "Fear of loss, inframodularity, and transfers," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(4), pages 1490-1500.
- Gajdos, Thibault & Weymark, John A., 2012. "Introduction to inequality and risk," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(4), pages 1313-1330.
- André de Palma & Nathalie Picard, 2004. "Route Choice behavior with risk averse users," THEMA Working Papers 2004-09, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Simon Grant & John Quiggin, 2004.
"Increasing Uncertainty: A Definition,"
Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers
WPR04_4, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Grant, Simon & Quiggin, John, 2004. "Increasing Uncertainty: A Definition," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151163, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Grant, Simon & Quiggan, John, 2004. "Increasing Uncertainty: A Definition," Working Papers 2002-11, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Donald Keenan & Donald Rudow & Arthur Snow, 2008. "Risk preferences and changes in background risk," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 139-152, April.
- de Palma, André & Picard, Nathalie, 2005. "Route choice decision under travel time uncertainty," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 295-324, May.
- David P. Myatt & Justin P. Johnson, 2004.
"On the Simple Economics of Advertising, Marketing, and Product Design,"
Economics Series Working Papers
185, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Justin P. Johnson & David P. Myatt, 2006. "On the Simple Economics of Advertising, Marketing, and Product Design," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 756-784, June.
- Unser, Matthias, 2000. "Lower partial moments as measures of perceived risk: An experimental study," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 253-280, June.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00212281 is not listed on IDEAS
- Keenan, Donald C. & Snow, Arthur, 2012. "Ross risk vulnerability for introductions and changes in background risk," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 197-206.
- Rajat Deb & Tae Seo, 2011. "Rothschild and Stiglitz’s mean preserving: revisited," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 659-668, October.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00212281 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chateauneuf, Alain & Cohen, Michele & Meilijson, Isaac, 2004.
"Four notions of mean-preserving increase in risk, risk attitudes and applications to the rank-dependent expected utility model,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 547-571, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.