Nonparametric Methods with Applications to Hedonic Models
AbstractCurrent real estate statistical valuation involves the estimation of parameters within a posited specification. Such parametric estimation requires judgment concerning model (1) variables; and (2) functional form. In contrast, nonparametric regression estimation requires attention to (1) but permits greatly reduced attention to (2). Parametric estimators functionally model the parameters and variables affecting E(y x) while nonparametric estimators directly model pdf(y,x) and hence E(y x). This article applies the kernel nonparametric regression estimator to two different data sets and specifications. The article shows the nonparametric estimator outperforms the standard parametric estimator (OLS) across variable transformations and across data subsets differing in quality. In addition, the article reviews properties of nonparametric estimators, presents the history of nonparametric estimators in real estate, and discusses a representation of the kernel estimator as a nonparametric grid method. Copyright 1993 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 7 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Simioni, Michel & Surry, Yves R., 2005.
"Hedonic Housing Prices and Agricultural Pollution: An Empirical Investigation on Semiparametric Models,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24709, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Simioni, Michel & Surry, Yves R., 2005. "Hedonic Housing Prices and Agricultural Pollution: An Empirical Investigation on Semiparametric Models," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19547, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Robert J. Hill & Daniel Melser, 2007. "Comparing House Prices Across Regions and Time: An Hedonic Approach," Discussion Papers 2007-33, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- repec:asg:wpaper:1006 is not listed on IDEAS
- R. Kelley Pace, 1998. "Appraisal Using Generalized Additive Models," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 15(1), pages 77-100.
- Teuber, Ramona, 2010. "Estimating the Demand for Sensory Quality â€“ Theoretical Considerations and an Empirical Application to Specialty Coffee," Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, vol. 59(3).
- Palmquist, Raymond B., 2006. "Property Value Models," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 763-819 Elsevier.
- George H. Lentz & Ko Wang, 1998. "Residential Appraisal and the Lending Process: A Survey of Issues," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 15(1), pages 11-40.
- Castillo, Enrique & Hadi, Ali S. & Lacruz, Beatriz & Pruneda, Rosa E., 2008. "Semi-parametric nonlinear regression and transformation using functional networks," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 2129-2157, January.
- Tomson Ogwang & Baotai Wang, 2003. "A Hedonic Price Function for a Northern BC Community," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 61(3), pages 285-296, March.
- Russell McKenzie & John Levendis, 2010. "Flood Hazards and Urban Housing Markets: The Effects of Katrina on New Orleans," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 62-76, January.
- Quan Gan & Robert J. Hill, 2008. "A New Perspective on the Relationship Between House Prices and Income," Discussion Papers 2008-13, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Peter Colwell & Henry Munneke, 2009. "Directional Land Value Gradients," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 1-23, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.