Modeling Spatial and Temporal House Price Patterns: A Comparison of Four Models
AbstractThis research reports results from a competition on modeling spatial and temporal components of house prices. A large, well-documented database was prepared and made available to anyone wishing to join the competition. To prevent data snooping, out-of-sample observations were withheld; they were deposited with one individual who did not enter the competition, but had the responsibility of calculating out-of-sample statistics for results submitted by the others. The competition turned into a cooperative effort, resulting in enhancements to previous methods including: a localized version of Dubin's kriging model, a kriging version of Clapp's local regression model, and a local application of Case's earlier work on dividing a geographic housing market into districts. The results indicate the importance of nearest neighbor transactions for out-of-sample predictions: spatial trend analysis and census tract variables do not perform nearly as well as neighboring residuals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Katja Hanewald & Michael Sherris, 2011. "House Price Risk Models for Banking and Insurance Applications," Working Papers 201118, ARC Centre of Excellence in Population Ageing Research (CEPAR), Australian School of Business, University of New South Wales.
- José-María Montero-Lorenzo & Beatriz Larraz-Iribas & Antonio Páez, 2009. "Estimating commercial property prices: an application of cokriging with housing prices as ancillary information," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 407-425, December.
- Ekaterina Chernobai & Michael Reibel & Michael Carney, 2011. "Nonlinear Spatial and Temporal Effects of Highway Construction on House Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 348-370, April.
- Stefan Sebastian Fahrlaender, 2005.
"Semiparametric Construction of Spatial Generalized Hedonic Models for Private Properties,"
dp0507, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Stefan Sebastian Fahrländer, 2006. "Semiparametric Construction of Spatial Generalized Hedonic Models for Private Properties," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 142(IV), pages 501â528, December.
- Dorsey, Robert E. & Hu, Haixin & Mayer, Walter J. & Wang, Hui-chen, 2010. "Hedonic versus repeat-sales housing price indexes for measuring the recent boom-bust cycle," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 75-93, June.
- David Ling & Milena Petrova, 2008. "Avoiding Taxes at Any Cost: The Economics of Tax-Deferred Real Estate Exchanges," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 367-404, May.
- Steven Bourassa & Eva Cantoni & Martin Hoesli, 2007. "Spatial Dependence, Housing Submarkets, and House Price Prediction," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 143-160, August.
- Jorge Chica-Olmo, 2007. "Prediction of Housing Location Price by a Multivariate Spatial Method: Cokriging," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 29(1), pages 95-114.
- Rainer Schulz & Martin Wersing & Axel Werwatz, 2013. "Automated Valuation Modelling: A Specification Exercise," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-046, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Kato, Takafumi, 2012. "Prediction in the lognormal regression model with spatial error dependence," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 66-76.
- Baranzini, Andrea & Schaerer, Caroline, 2011. "A sight for sore eyes: Assessing the value of view and land use in the housing market," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 191-199, September.
- Jose Montero & Beatriz Larraz, 2010. "Estimating Housing Prices: A Proposal with Spatially Correlated Data," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 39-51, February.
- Antonio Páez, 2009. "Recent research in spatial real estate hedonic analysis," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 311-316, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.