Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities: Prepayment and Default
AbstractOne of the major developments in real estate finance during the 1990s was the emergence of a viable market for commercial mortgage backed securities. The growth in this market has spurred greater interest in empirical and theoretical research on commercial mortgage default and prepayment. We employ a competing risks model to examine the default and prepayment behavior of commercial loans underlying CMBS deals. We find that changes in the yield curve have a direct impact on the probability of mortgage termination. Furthermore, we do not find any statistical relationship between LTV and prepayment or default. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (March-May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joseph B. Nichols & Amy Cunningham, 2009. "A model of CMBS spreads," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- Bradford Case, 2003. "Loss characteristics of commercial real estate loan portfolios," Basel II White Paper 1, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Geetesh Bhardwaj & Rajdeep Sengupta, 2008. "Did prepayments sustain the subprime market?," Working Papers 2008-039, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Deng, Yongheng & Quigley, John M. & Sanders, Anthony B., 2006. "Commercial Mortgage-backed Securities (CMBS) Terminations, Regional and Property-Type Risk," Working Paper Series 2006-24, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Muzaffer Akat & Brent W. Ambrose & Orhan Erdem & Yildiray Yildirim, 2012. "Valuing Default and Defeasence Option for Commercial Mortgage Backed Securities," Working Paper 2012-01, Research Department of Borsa Istanbul.
- Bhardwaj, Geetesh & Sengupta, Rajdeep, 2012. "Subprime mortgage design," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1503-1519.
- Driessen, Joost & Van Hemert, Otto, 2012. "Pricing of commercial real estate securities during the 2007–2009 financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 37-61.
- Lanot, Gauthier & Leece, David, 2010. "The Performance of UK Securitized Subprime Mortgage Debt: ‘Idiosyncratic’ Behaviour or Mortgage Design?," MPRA Paper 27137, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jonathan B. Dressler & Jeffrey R. Stokes, 2010. "Survival analysis and mortgage termination at AgChoice ACA," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 70(1), pages 21-36, May.
- David Feldman & Shulamith Gross, 2005. "Mortgage Default: Classification Trees Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 369-396, June.
- James Kau & Donald Keenan & Xiaowei Li, 2011. "An Analysis of Mortgage Termination Risks: A Shared Frailty Approach with MSA-Level Random Effects," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 51-67, January.
- Erik Heitfield & Tarun Sabarwal, 2004.
"What Drives Default and Prepayment on Subprime Auto Loans?,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 457-477, December.
- Erik Heitfield & Tarun Sabarwal, 2004. "What Drives Default and Prepayment on Subprime Auto Loans?," Finance 0405034, EconWPA.
- An, Xudong & Deng, Yongheng & Gabriel, Stuart A., 2011. "Asymmetric information, adverse selection, and the pricing of CMBS," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 304-325, May.
- Geetesh Bhardwaj & Rajdeep Sengupta, 2008. "Where's the smoking gun? a study of underwriting standards for US subprime mortgages," Working Papers 2008-036, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Grovenstein, Robert A. & Harding, John P. & Sirmans, C.F. & Thebpanya, Sansanee & Turnbull, Geoffrey K., 2005. "Commercial mortgage underwriting: How well do lenders manage the risks?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 355-383, December.
- Gianluca Marcato & Giovanni Alberto Tira, 2009. "Driving Factors in Pricing European CMBS: Bond, Mortgage and Real Estate Characteristics," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2009-04, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Bhardwaj, G. & Sengupta, R., 2009. "Did Prepayments Sustain the Subprime Market?," Discussion Paper 2009-38 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- An, Xudong & Deng, Yongheng & Sanders, Anthony B., 2006. "Subordinations Levels in Structured Financing," Working Paper Series 2006-18, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Tsai, Ming-Shann & Liao, Szu-Lang & Chiang, Shu-Ling, 2009. "Analyzing yield, duration and convexity of mortgage loans under prepayment and default risks," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 92-103, June.
- repec:eme:jrfpps:v:11:y:2011:i:1:p:26-40 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.