Office Capitalization Rates: Real Estate and Capital Market Influences
AbstractFocusing on the office capitalization rate, the central objective of this article is to shed light on two sets of issues that have not yet been fully researched. The first involves the importance of local-fixed and time-variant components of the office capitalization rate, and the significance of persistence in its time trends. The second centers on the relative importance of local office markets and the national capital market in shaping the various components of the office capitalization rate. Extensive econometric analysis of capitalization-rate series employed to address these issues highlights the existence of both local fixed and time-variant effects, while indicating differential persistence of time trends across markets. Moreover, such analysis uncovers the pivotal role of specific local office-market traits and the lesser role of national capital-market features in determining office capitalization-rate variations. Such findings on the role of local influences may provide a richer foundation for asset valuation and investment practices. Copyright 1999 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Doina Chichernea & Norm Miller & Jeff Fisher & Bob White & Michael Sklarz, 2008. "ACross-Sectional Analysis of CapRates by MSA," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 30(3), pages 249-292.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Bryan D. MacGregor, 2005.
"Investor Rationality: Evidence from U.K. Property Capitalization Rates,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(2), pages 299-322, 06.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Bryan D. MacGregor, 2003. "Investor Rationality: Evidence from UK Property Capitalization Rates," NBER Working Papers 9894, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Ling & Gianluca Marcato & Pat McAllister, 2009. "Dynamics of Asset Prices and Transaction Activity in Illiquid Markets: the Case of Private Commercial Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 359-383, October.
- Jim Clayton & David Ling & Andy Naranjo, 2009. "Commercial Real Estate Valuation: Fundamentals Versus Investor Sentiment," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 5-37, January.
- John McDonald & Sofia Dermisi, 2009. "Office Building Capitalization Rates: The Case of Downtown Chicago," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 472-485, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.