Spatiotemporal Autoregressive Models of Neighborhood Effects
AbstractUsing 70,822 observations on housing prices from 1969 to 1991 from Fairfax County Virginia, this article demonstrates the substantial benefits obtained by modeling the spatial as well as the temporal dependence of the data. Specifically, the spatiotemporal autoregression with twelve variables reduced median absolute error by 37.35 percent relative to an indicator-based model with twenty-six variables. One-step ahead forecasts also document the improved performance of the proposed spatiotemporal model. In addition, the article illustrates techniques for rapidly computing the estimates and shows how to compute indices for any location. Copyright 1998 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Seya, Hajime & Tsutsumi, Morito & Yamagata, Yoshiki, 2012. "Income convergence in Japan: A Bayesian spatial Durbin model approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 60-71.
- Kiefer, Hua, 2011. "The house price determination process: Rational expectations with a spatial context," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 249-266.
- Cotteleer, Geerte & van Kooten, G. Cornelis, 2012. "Expert opinion versus actual transaction evidence in the valuation of non-market amenities," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 32-40.
- Claude Besner, 2002. "A Spatial Autoregressive Specification with a Comparable Sales Weighting Scheme," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 24(2), pages 193-212.
- Odening, Martin & Jetzinger, Simon & Huettel, Silke, 2013.
"Forced Sales and Farmland Prices,"
2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C.
150274, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Huttel, Silke & Jetzinger, Simon & Odening, Martin, 2012. "Forced Sales And Farmland Prices," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 133413, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Huttel, Silke & Jetzinger, Simon & Odening, Martin, 2012. "Forced Sales and Farmland Prices," Structural Change in Agriculture/Strukturwandel im Agrarsektor (SiAg) Working Papers 129063, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Delores Conway & Christina Li & Jennifer Wolch & Christopher Kahle & Michael Jerrett, 2010. "A Spatial Autocorrelation Approach for Examining the Effects of Urban Greenspace on Residential Property Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 150-169, August.
- Geerte Cotteleer & Tracy Stobbe & G. Cornelis van Kooten, 2011.
"Bayesian Model Averaging In The Context Of Spatial Hedonic Pricing: An Application To Farmland Values,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 540-557, 08.
- Geerte Cotteleer & Tracy Stobbe & G. Cornelis van Kooten, 2007. "Bayesian Model Averaging in the Context of Spatial Hedonic Pricing: An Application to Farmland Values," Working Papers 2007-07, University of Victoria, Department of Economics, Resource Economics and Policy Analysis Research Group.
- Steven Bourassa & Eva Cantoni & Martin Hoesli, 2007. "Spatial Dependence, Housing Submarkets, and House Price Prediction," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 143-160, August.
- Antonio Páez, 2009. "Recent research in spatial real estate hedonic analysis," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 311-316, December.
- Elhorst, J.P., 2000. "Dynamic models in space and time," Research Report 00C16, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Seow Ong & Poh Neo & Yong Tu, 2008. "Foreclosure Sales: The Effects of Price Expectations, Volatility and Equity Losses," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 265-287, April.
- Ingrid Nappi‐Choulet & Tristan‐Pierre Maury, 2011.
"A Spatial And Temporal Autoregressive Local Estimation For The Paris Housing Market,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 732-750, October.
- Nappi-Choulet, Ingrid & Maury, Tristan-Pierre, 2009. "A Spatial and Temporal Autoregressive Local Estimation for the Paris Housing Market," ESSEC Working Papers DR 09004, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Kuethe, Todd H. & Foster, Kenneth A. & Florax, Raymond J.G.M., 2008. "A Spatial Hedonic Model with Time-Varying Parameters: A New Method Using Flexible Least Squares," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6306, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- David M. Brasington, 1999. "Which Measures of School Quality Does the Housing Market Value?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 18(3), pages 395-414.
- Dubin, Robin A., 1998. "Spatial Autocorrelation: A Primer," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 304-327, December.
- Hua Sun & Yong Tu & Shi-Ming Yu, 2005. "A Spatio-Temporal Autoregressive Model for Multi-Unit Residential Market Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 155-187, September.
- Stefania Tonin & Margherita Turvani, 2011. "Environmental contamination and industrial real estate market: an application of hedonic price method in Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa10p511, European Regional Science Association.
- Maurizio d’Amato, 2007. "Comparing Rough Set Theory with Multiple Regression Analysis as Automated Valuation Methodologies," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 10(2), pages 42-65.
- Yong Tu & Hua Sun & Shi-Ming Yu, 2007. "Spatial Autocorrelations and Urban Housing Market Segmentation," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 385-406, April.
- Soundararajan, Pushparaj, 2013. "Regional income convergence in India: A Bayesian Spatial Durbin Model approach," MPRA Paper 44744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.