Using the Spatial Configuration of the Data to Improve Estimation
AbstractUsing the well-known Harrison and Rubinfeld (1978) hedonic pricing data, this manuscript demonstrates the substantial benefits obtained by modeling the spatial dependence of the errors. Specifically, the estimated errors on the spatial autoregression fell by 44% relative to OLS. The spatial autoregression corrects predicted values by a nonparametric estimate of the error on nearby observations and thus mimics the behavior of appraisers. The spatial autoregression, by formally incorporating the areal configuration of the data to increase predictive accuracy and estimation efficiency, has great potential in real estate empirical work. Copyright 1997 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kiefer, Hua, 2011. "The house price determination process: Rational expectations with a spatial context," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 249-266.
- Jin, Fei & Lee, Lung-fei, 2013. "Cox-type tests for competing spatial autoregressive models with spatial autoregressive disturbances," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 590-616.
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz, Claudia, 2002.
"Rent indices for housing in West Germany 1985 to 1998,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2002,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz, Claudia, 2002. "Rent indices for housing in West Germany 1985 to 1998," Working Paper Series 0116, European Central Bank.
- Ming-Long Lee & R. Kelley Pace, 2005. "Spatial Distribution of Retail Sales," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 53-69, August.
- Kelley Pace, R., 1997. "Performing large spatial regressions and autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 283-291, July.
- Sharada Vadali, 2008. "Toll roads and economic development: exploring effects on property values," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 591-620, September.
- Seya, Hajime & Yamagata, Yoshiki & Tsutsumi, Morito, 2013. "Automatic selection of a spatial weight matrix in spatial econometrics: Application to a spatial hedonic approach," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 429-444.
- Won Kim, Chong & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 2003.
"Measuring the benefits of air quality improvement: a spatial hedonic approach,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Kim, Chong Won & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 1998. "Measuring The Benefits Of Air Quality Improvement: A Spatial Hedonic Approach," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kim, Jungik & Goldsmith, Peter D. & Thomas, Michael H., 2004. "Using Spatial Econometrics To Assess The Impact Of Swine Production On Residential Property Values," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20186, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Steven Bourassa & Eva Cantoni & Martin Hoesli, 2007. "Spatial Dependence, Housing Submarkets, and House Price Prediction," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 143-160, August.
- Wang, Li & Ready, Richard C., 2005. "Spatial Econometric Approaches to Estimating Hedonic Property Value Models," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19174, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jungik Kim & Peter Goldsmith, 2009. "A Spatial Hedonic Approach to Assess the Impact of Swine Production on Residential Property Values," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 42(4), pages 509-534, April.
- Claude Besner, 2002. "A Spatial Autoregressive Specification with a Comparable Sales Weighting Scheme," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 24(2), pages 193-212.
- Ida Ferrara & Stephen McComb & Paul Missios, 2007. "Local Willingness-to-Pay Estimates for the Remediation of the Sydney Tar Ponds in Nova Scotia," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 33(4), pages 441-458, December.
- Dean Hanink & Robert Cromley & Avraham Ebenstein, 2012. "Wage-based evidence of returns to external scale in China’s manufacturing: a spatial analysis," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 49(1), pages 1-16, August.
- Delores Conway & Christina Li & Jennifer Wolch & Christopher Kahle & Michael Jerrett, 2010. "A Spatial Autocorrelation Approach for Examining the Effects of Urban Greenspace on Residential Property Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 150-169, August.
- José-María Montero-Lorenzo & Beatriz Larraz-Iribas & Antonio Páez, 2009. "Estimating commercial property prices: an application of cokriging with housing prices as ancillary information," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 407-425, December.
- Bing Zhu & Roland Füss & Nico Rottke, 2011. "The Predictive Power of Anisotropic Spatial Correlation Modeling in Housing Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 542-565, May.
- Christophe Croux & Peter Exterkate, 2011. "Sparse and Robust Factor Modelling," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-122/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Palmquist, Raymond B., 2006. "Property Value Models," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 763-819 Elsevier.
- LE GALLO, Julie, 2000. "Econométrie spatiale 1 -Autocorrélation spatiale," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2000-05, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.