Using the Spatial Configuration of the Data to Improve Estimation
AbstractUsing the well-known Harrison and Rubinfeld (1978) hedonic pricing data, this manuscript demonstrates the substantial benefits obtained by modeling the spatial dependence of the errors. Specifically, the estimated errors on the spatial autoregression fell by 44% relative to OLS. The spatial autoregression corrects predicted values by a nonparametric estimate of the error on nearby observations and thus mimics the behavior of appraisers. The spatial autoregression, by formally incorporating the areal configuration of the data to increase predictive accuracy and estimation efficiency, has great potential in real estate empirical work. Copyright 1997 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz, Claudia, 2002.
"Rent indices for housing in West Germany 1985 to 1998,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2002,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz, Claudia, 2002. "Rent indices for housing in West Germany 1985 to 1998," Working Paper Series 0116, European Central Bank.
- Kim, Chong Won & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 1998.
"Measuring The Benefits Of Air Quality Improvement: A Spatial Hedonic Approach,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT
20959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Won Kim, Chong & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 2003. "Measuring the benefits of air quality improvement: a spatial hedonic approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Kim, Jungik & Goldsmith, Peter D. & Thomas, Michael H., 2004. "Using Spatial Econometrics To Assess The Impact Of Swine Production On Residential Property Values," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20186, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Day, BH, 2005. "Hedonic analysis of property markets: theory and applications to UK cities ," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- José-María Montero-Lorenzo & Beatriz Larraz-Iribas & Antonio Páez, 2009. "Estimating commercial property prices: an application of cokriging with housing prices as ancillary information," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 407-425, December.
- Alfons, Andreas & Croux, Christophe & Gelper, Sarah, 2011. "Sparse least trimmed squares regression," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/314738, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- LE GALLO, Julie, 2000. "Econométrie spatiale 1 -Autocorrélation spatiale," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2000-05, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Sharada Vadali, 2008. "Toll roads and economic development: exploring effects on property values," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 591-620, September.
- Ida Ferrara & Stephen McComb & Paul Missios, 2007. "Local Willingness-to-Pay Estimates for the Remediation of the Sydney Tar Ponds in Nova Scotia," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 33(4), pages 441-458, December.
- Wang, Li & Ready, Richard C., 2005. "Spatial Econometric Approaches to Estimating Hedonic Property Value Models," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19174, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Palmquist, Raymond B., 2006. "Property Value Models," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 763-819 Elsevier.
- Ming-Long Lee & R. Kelley Pace, 2005. "Spatial Distribution of Retail Sales," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 53-69, August.
- Claude Besner, 2002. "A Spatial Autoregressive Specification with a Comparable Sales Weighting Scheme," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 24(2), pages 193-212.
- Kiefer, Hua, 2011. "The house price determination process: Rational expectations with a spatial context," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 249-266.
- Bing Zhu & Roland Füss & Nico Rottke, 2011. "The Predictive Power of Anisotropic Spatial Correlation Modeling in Housing Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 542-565, May.
- Jungik Kim & Peter Goldsmith, 2009. "A Spatial Hedonic Approach to Assess the Impact of Swine Production on Residential Property Values," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 42(4), pages 509-534, April.
- Kelley Pace, R., 1997. "Performing large spatial regressions and autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 283-291, July.
- Christophe Croux & Peter Exterkate, 2011. "Sparse and Robust Factor Modelling," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-122/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Delores Conway & Christina Li & Jennifer Wolch & Christopher Kahle & Michael Jerrett, 2010. "A Spatial Autocorrelation Approach for Examining the Effects of Urban Greenspace on Residential Property Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 150-169, August.
- Steven Bourassa & Eva Cantoni & Martin Hoesli, 2007. "Spatial Dependence, Housing Submarkets, and House Price Prediction," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 143-160, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.