Editorial: Hospital case payment systems in Europe
AbstractSince the introduction of the system of diagnosis related groups (DRGs) for USA Medicare patients in 1983, case payment mechanisms have gradually become the principal means of reimbursing hospitals in most developed countries. The use of case payments nevertheless poses severe technical and policy challenges, and there remain many unresolved issues in their implementation. This paper introduces a special issue of the journal that describes and compares experience with the use of case payments for reimbursing hospitals in nine European countries. The editorial sets the policy scene, and argues that DRG systems must be seen both as a technical reimbursement method and as a fundamental incentive mechanism within the health system. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Health Care Management Science.
Volume (Year): 9 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=101767
Hospital charges; Hospital costs; Hospital information systems; Financial management; Accounting; Diagnosis related groups; Prospective payment system;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Street, Andrew & Sivey, Peter & Mason, Anne & Miraldo, Marisa & Siciliani, Luigi, 2010. "Are English treatment centres treating less complex patients?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 150-157, February.
- Jason Sutherland & Jeremy Hamm & Jeff Hatcher, 2010. "Adjusting case mix payment amounts for inaccurately reported comorbidity data," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Polyzos, Nikolaos & Karanikas, Haralampos & Thireos, Eleftherios & Kastanioti, Catherine & Kontodimopoulos, Nick, 2013. "Reforming reimbursement of public hospitals in Greece during the economic crisis: Implementation of a DRG system," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 14-22.
- Heimeshoff, Mareike & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2013. "Estimation of a physician practice cost function," hche Research Papers 2013/07, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- Sutherland, Jason Murray & Walker, Jan, 2008. "Challenges of rehabilitation case mix measurement in Ontario hospitals," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 336-348, March.
- van de Vijsel, Aart R. & Engelfriet, Peter M. & Westert, Gert P., 2011. "Rendering hospital budgets volume based and open ended to reduce waiting lists: Does it work?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 60-70, April.
- Moreno-Serra, Rodrigo & Wagstaff, Adam, 2010.
"System-wide impacts of hospital payment reforms: Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 585-602, July.
- Moreno-Serra, Rodrigo & Wagstaff, Adam, 2009. "System-wide impacts of hospital payment reforms : evidence from central and eastern Europe and central Asia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4987, The World Bank.
- Cappellaro, Giulia & Ghislandi, Simone & Anessi-Pessina, Eugenio, 2011. "Diffusion of medical technology: The role of financing," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 51-59, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.