Robustness and Ambiguity Aversion in General Equilibrium
AbstractWe analyze the empirical predictions of ambiguity aversion in intertemporal heterogenous agents economies. We examine equilibria for two tractable wealth--homothetic settings of ambiguity aversion in continuous time. Each setting is motivated by a different robust control optimization problem. We show that ambiguity aversion affects optimal portfolios in a way that is similar to an increase in risk aversion. A distinct property of our second setting of ambiguity aversion is that this increase is state dependent, highly pronounced at moderate portfolio exposures and reduces equity-market participation. In general equilibrium, ambiguity aversion raises the equity premium and lowers interest rates. A distinct feature of our second setting of ambiguity aversion is that the equity premium part due to ambiguity aversion dominates when volatility is low.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal European Finance Review.
Volume (Year): 8 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=111870
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martin Schneider, 2010. "The Research Agenda: Martin Schneider on Multiple Priors Preferences and Financial Markets," EconomicDynamics Newsletter, Review of Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(2), April.
- Massimo Guidolin & Francesca Rinaldi, 2013.
"Ambiguity in asset pricing and portfolio choice: a review of the literature,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 74(2), pages 183-217, February.
- Massimo Guidolin & Francesca Rinaldi, 2010. "Ambiguity in asset pricing and portfolio choice: a review of the literature," Working Papers 2010-028, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Massimo Guidolin & Francesca Rinaldi, 2011. "Ambiguity in Asset Pricing and Portfolio Choice: A Review of the Literature," Working Papers 417, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Liu, Hening, 2011. "Dynamic portfolio choice under ambiguity and regime switching mean returns," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 623-640, April.
- Nina Boyarchenko, 2009. "Ambiguity, Information Quality and Credit Risk," 2009 Meeting Papers 1028, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Yehuda Izhakian, 2012. "Does Ambiguity Diversification Pay?," Working Papers 12-11, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Larry G. Epstein & Martin Schneider, 2010.
"Ambiguity and Asset Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
16181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sbuelz, Alessandro & Trojani, Fabio, 2008. "Asset prices with locally constrained-entropy recursive multiple-priors utility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 3695-3717, November.
- Gonçalo Faria & João Correia-da-Silva, 2012. "Is Stochastic Volatility relevant for Dynamic Portfolio Choice under Ambiguity?," FEP Working Papers 472, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Leippold, Markus & Trojani, Fabio & Vanini, Paolo, 2006. "Equilibrium impact of value-at-risk regulation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1277-1313, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.