Local Search Techniques for Constrained Portfolio Selection Problems
AbstractWe consider the problem of selecting a portfolio of assets that provides the investor a suitable balance of expected return and risk. With respect to the seminal mean-variance model of Markowitz, we consider additional constraints on the cardinality of the portfolio and on the quantity of individual shares. Such constraints better capture the real-world trading system, but make the problem more difficult to be solved with exact methods. We explore the use of local search techniques, mainly tabu search, for the portfolio selection problem. We compare the combine previous work on portfolio selection that makes use of the local search approach and we propose new algorithms that combined different neighborhood relations. In addition, we show how the use of randomization and of a simple form of adaptiveness simplifies the setting of a large number of critical parameters. Finally, we show how our techniques perform on public benchmarks. Copyright 2002 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Computational Economics in its journal Computational Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Konstantinos Anagnostopoulos & Georgios Mamanis, 2011. "Multiobjective evolutionary algorithms for complex portfolio optimization problems," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 259-279, August.
- Xi-li Zhang & Wei-Guo Zhang & Wei-jun Xu & Wei-Lin Xiao, 2010. "Possibilistic Approaches to Portfolio Selection Problem with General Transaction Costs and a CLPSO Algorithm," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 36(3), pages 191-200, October.
- Woodside-Oriakhi, M. & Lucas, C. & Beasley, J.E., 2011. "Heuristic algorithms for the cardinality constrained efficient frontier," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(3), pages 538-550, September.
- Xiaolou Yang, 2006. "Improving Portfolio Efficiency: A Genetic Algorithm Approach," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 28(1), pages 1-14, August.
- Yucheng Kao & Hsiu-Tzu Cheng, 2013. "Bacterial Foraging Optimization Approach to Portfolio Optimization," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 42(4), pages 453-470, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.