A Structural Model of Aircraft Engine Maintenance
AbstractWe develop and estimate a simple regenerative optimal stopping model of aircraft engine maintenance that attempts to describe the behaviour of airline maintenance personnel. The model assumes that the decision to send an engine to the shop for overhaul is the solution to a stochastic dynamic programming problem that trades off the expected cost of continuing operation with the attendant risk of engine failure with the cost of performing the overhaul. We estimate the model using 42 engine histories from Pratt & Whitney, Inc. Estimation results indicate that such a model does not explain observed engine histories before deregulation, but does fit the data in the era since deregulation. The model also provides insight into the perceived relative costs of engine maintenance, in-flight shutdown, and ordinary operation. Copyright 1994 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 (Oct.-Dec.)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Mira, Pedro, 2010.
"Dynamic discrete choice structural models: A survey,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 38-67, May.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro mira, 2007. "Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models: A Survey," Working Papers tecipa-297, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Pedro Mira & Victor Aguirregabiria, 2007. "Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models: A Survey," Working Papers wp2007_0711, CEMFI.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Arvind Magesan, 2013. "Euler Equations for the Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models," Working Papers tecipa-489, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Magesan, Arvind, 2013. "Euler Equations for the Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural," MPRA Paper 46056, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Victor Aguirregabiria, 2005. "Another Look at the Identification of Dynamic Discrete Decision Processes," Econometrics 0504006, EconWPA.
- Kasahara, Hiroyuki & Shimotsu, Katsumi, 2008. "Pseudo-likelihood estimation and bootstrap inference for structural discrete Markov decision models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 92-106, September.
- VanderHart, Peter G., 1998. "The Housing Decisions of Older Households: A Dynamic Analysis," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 21-48, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.