Multivariate Nearest-Neighbor Forecasts of EMS Exchange Rates
AbstractExchange rate modelling has been a persistent puzzle for international economists. Forecasts from popular models for the exchange rate generally fail to improve upon the random walk out-of-sample. While a multivariate nonparametric approach provides useful information about exchange rates, the model produces forecasts superior to the random walk for only one of the three EMS currencies examined. Using a statistic developed in Mizrach (1991), I find that the forecast improvement, a 4.5 percent reduction in mean squared error for the Lira in daily returns, is not statistically significant. A cross-validation exercise suggests that the improvement is also not robust. Copyright 1992 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 7 (1992)
Issue (Month): S (Suppl. Dec.)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010.
"An out-of-sample test for nonlinearity in financial time series: An empirical application,"
Discussion Paper Series
2010_08, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Jun 2010.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "An Out-of-Sample Test for Nonlinearity in Financial Time Series: An Empirical Application," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 36(2), pages 121-132, August.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "An Out-of-Sample Test for Nonlinearity in Financial Time Series: An Empirical Application," Working Paper Series 20_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Fernando Fernández-Rodríguez & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Julián Andrada-Félix, .
"Technical Analysis in Foreign Exchange Markets: Linear Versus Nonlinear Trading Rules,"
Working Papers on International Economics and Finance
- Fernando Fernández-Rodríguez & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Julián Andrada-Félix, 2000. "Technical Analysis In Foreign Exchange Markets: Linear Versus Nonlinear Trading Rules," Working Papers 00-02, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- F. FernAndez-RodrIguez & S. Sosvilla-Rivero & J. Andrada-FElix, 2003. "Technical analysis in foreign exchange markets: evidence from the EMS," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 113-122.
- Bruce Mizrach, 1996. "Mean Reversion in EMS Exchange Rates," Departmental Working Papers 199525, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Angelos Kanas, 2003. "Non-linear forecasts of stock returns," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 299-315.
- Cao, Liangyue & Soofi, Abdol S., 1999. "Nonlinear deterministic forecasting of daily dollar exchange rates," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 421-430, October.
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon & Fernandez-Rodriguez, Fernando, 2001.
"Asymmetry in the EMS: New evidence based on non-linear forecasts,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 451-473, March.
- Óscar Bajo Rubio & Simón Sosvilla Rivero & Fernando Fernández Rodríguez, 2000. "Asymmetry In The Ems: New Evidence Based On Non-Linear Forecasts," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 0001, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Michael Pippenger & Gregory Goering, 1998. "Exchange Rate Forecasting: Results from a Threshold Autoregressive Model," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 157-170, April.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Fernando Fernández-Rodríguez, . "Non-Linear Forecasting Methods: Some Applications to the Analysis of Financial Series," Working Papers 2002-01, FEDEA.
- António Portugal Duarte & João Sousa Andrade & Adelaide Duarte, 2010.
"Exchange Rate Target Zones: A Survey of the Literature,"
GEMF Working Papers
2010-14, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- António Portugal Duarte & João Sousa Andrade & Adelaide Duarte, 2013. "Exchange Rate Target Zones: A Survey Of The Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 247-268, 04.
- Adam Clements & Joanne Fuller, 2012. "Forecasting increases in the VIX: A time-varying long volatility hedge for equities," NCER Working Paper Series 88, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Srichander Ramaswamy, 1998. "One-step prediction of financial time series," BIS Working Papers 57, Bank for International Settlements.
- John Barkoulas & Christopher F. Baum & Atreya Chakraborty, 1996. "Nearest-Neighbor Forecasts of U.S. Interest Rates," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 313., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Apr 2003.
- Manzan, S., 2002. "Model Selection for Nonlinear Time Series," CeNDEF Working Papers 02-12, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- António Portugal Duarte & João Sousa Andrade & Adelaide Duarte, 2012. "Testing for Nonlinear Adjustment in the Portuguese Target Zone: Is there a Honeymoon Effect?," GEMF Working Papers 2013-03, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.