Estimating Stochastic Frontier Systems with Unbalanced Panel Data: The Case of Floor Tile Manufactories in Egypt
AbstractA generalized stochastic frontier system is fitted with unbalanced panel data of Egyptian floor tileries and estimated using OLS, "within," feasible GLS, and maximum likelihood. Hausman tests indicate "within" is the correct estimator for the data. Estimates of firm-level techncial and allocative inefficiencies (and their costs) are presented for each of the estimators. Finally, sources of technical inefficiency are investigated. Copyright 1990 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 5 (1990)
Issue (Month): 1 (January-March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Qayyum, Abdul & Ahmad, Munir, 2006. "Efficiency and Sustainability of Micro Finance," MPRA Paper 11674, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Munir Ahmad & Azkar Ahmad, 1998. "An Analysis of the Sources of Wheat Output Growth in the Barani Area of the Punjab," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 37(3), pages 231-249.
- Tzouvelekas, Vangelis & Pantzios, Christos J. & Fotopoulos, Christos, 2001. "Economic Efficiency In Organic Farming: Evidence From Cotton Farms In Viotia, Greece," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(01), April.
- Neff, David L. & Garcia, Philip & Hornbaker, Robert H., 1991. "Efficiency Measures Using The Ray-Homothetic Function: A Multiperiod Analysis," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Estache, Antonio & Kouassi, Eugene, 2002. "Sector organization, governance, and the inefficiency of African water utilities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2890, The World Bank.
- William C. Horrace & Peter Schmidt, 2000. "Multiple comparisons with the best, with economic applications," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 1-26.
- Zelek, Charles & Shively, Gerald E., 2001. "Technical Change, Factor Bias, And Input Adjustments: Panel Data Evidence From The Philippines," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20651, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Michael Martin & Timothy G. Taylor, 2002. "A comparison of the efficiency of producers under collective and individual modes of organisation," COLOMBIAN ECONOMIC JOURNAL, COLOMBIAN ECONOMIC JOURNAL.
- Raghbendra Jha & Hari K. Nagarajan & Subbarayan Prasanna, 2005. "Land Fragmentation and its Implications for Productivity: Evidence from Southern India," ASARC Working Papers 2005-01, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- William C. Horrace, 2002. "Selection Procedures for Order Statistics in Empirical Economic Studies," Econometrics 0206005, EconWPA.
- William C. Horrace & Peter Schmidt, 2002. "Confidence Statements for Efficiency Estimates from Stochastic Frontier Models," Econometrics 0206006, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.