Heterogeneity, Excess Zeros, and the Structure of Count Data Models
AbstractThis paper demonstrates that the unobserved heterogeneity commonly assumed to be the source of overdispersion in count data models has predictable implications for the probability structure of such mixture models. In particular, the common observation of excess zeros is a strict implication of unobserved heterogeneity. This result has important implications for using count model estimates for predicting certain interesting parameters. Test statistics do detect such heterogeneity-related departures from the null model are proposed and applied in a health-care utilization example, suggesting that a null Poisson model should be rejected in favour of a mixed alternative.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (May-June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rosemary J. Avery & Donald S. Kenkel & Dean R. Lillard & Alan D. Mathios, 2006.
"Regulating Advertisements: The Case of Smoking Cessation Products,"
NBER Working Papers
12001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosemary Avery & Donald Kenkel & Dean Lillard & Alan Mathios, 2007. "Regulating advertisements: the case of smoking cessation products," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 185-208, April.
- Iversen, Tor & Kopperud, Gry Stine, 2009. "The impact of accessibility on the use of specialist health care in Norway," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2002:9, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Woo, Mi-Ja & Sriram, T.N., 2007. "Robust estimation of mixture complexity for count data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(9), pages 4379-4392, May.
- Eva Cantoni & Elvezio Ronchetti, 2004. "A robust approach for skewed and heavy-tailed outcomes in the analysis of health care expenditures," Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva 2004.03, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Ginés Guirao Pérez & Victor Javier Cano Fernández & Marta Isabel López Yurda & María Carolina Rodríguez Donate & Margarita Esther Romero Rodríguez, 2004. "Relación entre la frecuencia de consumo de vino y algunas características socioeconómicas de los individuos," Documentos de trabajo conjunto ULL-ULPGC 2004-01, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas de la ULPGC.
- William H. Greene & David A. Hensher, 2008. "Modeling Ordered Choices: A Primer and Recent Developments," Working Papers 08-26, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Hans Christian Kongsted & Thomas Ronde, 2013. " Does the Mobility of R & D Labor Increase Innovation?," Working Papers 336, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Ejsing, Ann-Kathrine & Kaiser, Ulrich & Kongsted, Hans Christian & Laursen, Keld, 2013.
"The Role of University Scientist Mobility for Industrial Innovation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7470, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ann-Kathrine Ejsing & Ulrich Kaiser & Hans Christian Kongsted & Keld Laursen, 2013. " The Role of University Scientist Mobility for Industrial Innovation," Working Papers 336, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Martine Visser & Frikkie Booysen, 2004. "Determinants of the choice of health care facility utilised by individuals in HIV/AIDS-affected households in the Free State province of South Africa," SALDRU/CSSR Working Papers 087, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Mailu, Stephen & Kuloba, Bernard & Ruto, Eric & Nyangena, Wilfred, 2010. "Effect of cropping policy on landowner reactions towards wildlife: a case of Naivasha area, Kenya," MPRA Paper 21308, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tor Iversen & Gry Stine Kopperud, 2005.
"Regulation versus practice - the impact of accessibility on the use of specialist health care in Norway,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(12), pages 1231-1238.
- Iversen, Tor & Kopperud, Gry Stine, 2009. "Regulation versus practice - The impact of accessibility on the use of specialist health care in Norway," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2005:2, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Miguel Manjón-Antolín & Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2011. "Locations and relocations: determinants, modelling, and interrelations," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 131-146, August.
- McDougal, Topher & Caruso, Raul, 2013. "Wartime Violence and Post-Conflict Development Policy: The Case of Agricultural Concessions in Mozambique," NEPS Working Papers 1/2013, Network of European Peace Scientists.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2007.
"Locations and Relocations:Modelling, Determinants, and Interrelations,"
2072/5316, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Miguel C. Manjon-Antolin & Josep Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2006. "Locations and Relocations: Modelling, Determinants, and Interrelations," ERSA conference papers ersa06p33, European Regional Science Association.
- Alka Chadha, 2005. "Trips and Patenting Activity: Evidence from the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry," Departmental Working Papers wp0512, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Brutscher, P., 2012. "Self-Disconnection Among Pre-Payment Customers - A Behavioural Analysis," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1214, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Margarita E. Romero Rodríguez & Enrique Los Arcos & Victor Cano Fernández & Miguel Sánchez Padrón, 2001. "Modelo para datos de recuentro de corte transversal con exceso de ceros. Aplicación a citas patentes," Documentos de trabajo conjunto ULL-ULPGC 2001-05, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas de la ULPGC.
- Rui Baptista & Joana Mendonça, 2010. "Proximity to knowledge sources and the location of knowledge-based start-ups," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 5-29, August.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod & Miguel Manjón-Antolín, 2012.
"(Optimal) spatial aggregation in the determinants of industrial location,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 645-658, October.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2009. "(Optimal) Spatial Aggregation in the Determinants of Industrial Location," Working Papers 2072/42866, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.