Forecasting in Cointegration Systems
AbstractWe consider the implications for forecast accuracy of imposing unit roots and cointegrating restrictions in linear systems of I(1) variables in levels, differences, and cointegrated combinations. Asymptotic formulae are obtained for multi-step forecast error variances for each representation. Alternative measures of forecast accuracy are discussed. Finite sample behavior in a bivariate model is studied by Monte Carlo using control variables. We also analyse the interaction between unit roots and cointegrating restrictions and intercepts in the DGP. Some of the issues are illustrated with an empirical example of forecasting the demand for M1 in the U.K. Copyright 1995 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 10 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (April-June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Siliverstovs, Boriss & Engsted, Tom & Haldrup, Niels, 2002.
"Long-Run Forecasting in Multicointegrated Systems,"
Finance Working Papers
02-14, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Boris Siliverstovs & Tom Engsted & Niels Haldrup, . "Long-run forecasting in multicointegrated systems," Economics Working Papers 2002-15, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Tom Engsted & Niels Haldrup, 2003. "Long-Run Forecasting in Multicointegrated Systems," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 381, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Anderson, Richard G. & Hoffman, Dennis L. & Rasche, Robert H., 2002.
"A vector error-correction forecasting model of the US economy,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 569-598, December.
- Richard G. Anderson & Dennis L. Hoffman & Robert H. Rasche, 2001. "A vector error correction forecasting model of the U.S. economy," Working Papers 1998-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Barnett, Alina & Mumtaz, Haroon & Theodoridis, Konstantinos, 2014.
"Forecasting UK GDP growth and inflation under structural change. A comparison of models with time-varying parameters,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 129-143.
- Barnett, Alina & Mumtaz, Haroon & Theodoridis, Konstantinos, 2012. "Forecasting UK GDP growth, inflation and interest rates under structural change: a comparison of models with time-varying parameters," Bank of England working papers 450, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.