Organizational Complexity and Innovation: Developing and Testing Multiple Contingency Models
AbstractCurrent research in organizational innovation is extensive, yet, because of limitations in scope, most studies are not adequately encompassing. These studies typically relate organizational variables to innovation and control at most for the effect of one contingency factor. Because innovation depends upon a complex host of factors, such theories have limited predictive application. This study intends to develop and test theories that explain the variation in the organizational complexity-innovation relationship in greater detail. The study considers two major indicators of organizational complexity---structural complexity and organizational size. Hypotheses are proposed on the effects of 14 contingency factors on the relationships between structural complexity and innovation and organizational size and innovation. The contingency factors include environmental uncertainty, organizational size, industrial sectors, types of innovation, and stages of innovation adoption. Using a meta-analytic procedure for multivariate analysis, the hypotheses are then tested with data from published studies in organizational innovation during the last three decades. The effects of four methods variables---operational definitions of innovation, structural complexity and size, and similarity of data sources---are controlled for in testing the hypotheses. This process results in two powerful and encompassing models: (1) the association between structural complexity and innovation depends upon operational definition of complexity, environmental uncertainty, use of manufacturing organizations, use of service organizations, focus on technical innovations, focus on product innovations, and focus on implementation of innovation; and (2) the association between organizational size and innovation depends upon operational definition of size, environmental uncertainty, use of service organizations, use of for-profit organizations, focus on technical innovations, and focus on product innovations. These models suggest avenues for further theory development and research, which we discuss.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 42 (1996)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
organizational innovation; structural complexity; organizational size; contingency model; meta-analysis;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thoumy, Mira & Vachon, Stephan, 2012. "Environmental projects and financial performance: Exploring the impact of project characteristics," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 28-34.
- Marine Agogue & Anna Yström & Pascal Le Masson, 2013. "Rethinking the role of intermediaries as an architect of collective exploration and creation of knowledge in open innovation," Post-Print hal-00707376, HAL.
- Pérez-Luño, Ana & Wiklund, Johan & Cabrera, Ramón Valle, 2011. "The dual nature of innovative activity: How entrepreneurial orientation influences innovation generation and adoption," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 555-571, September.
- Orfila-Sintes, Francina & Mattsson, Jan, 2009. "Innovation behavior in the hotel industry," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 380-394, April.
- Mohan Babu, G.N., 1999. "The Determinants of Firm-level Technological Performances - A Study on the Indian Capital Goods Sector," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 01, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Phua Lian Kee & Siti Nabiha Abd. Khalid & Chee Hong Kok & Adeline Lau & Cheng Chai Yu, 2013. "Internet Technologies Usage by Audit Firms in Malaysia," Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance, Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia, vol. 9(1), pages 47-66.
- Lamprinakis, Lampros, 2012. "Organizational Innovation and Institutional Change: The Case of Valio in Finland," International Journal on Food System Dynamics, International Center for Management, Communication, and Research, vol. 3(2).
- Lam, Alice, 2004. "Organizational Innovation," MPRA Paper 11539, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Azar, Goudarz, 2012. "Inpatriates and Expatriates: Sources of Strategic Human Capital for Multinational Food and Beverage Firms," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 15(A).
- Claver-Cortés, Enrique & Pertusa-Ortega, Eva M. & Molina-Azorín, José F., 2012. "Characteristics of organizational structure relating to hybrid competitive strategy: Implications for performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(7), pages 993-1002.
- Nur Hazelen Mat Rusok Author_Email: email@example.com & Mohamed Husny Basir & PM Dr. Zainudin Awang & Farahiyah Akmal Mat Nawi, 2011. "The Influence Of Constructive Thought Pattern Strategies On Entrepreneur Innovative Behavior," Annual Summit on Business and Entrepreneurial Studies (ASBES 2011) Proceeding 2011-034-087, Conference Master Resources.
- Theresia Gunawan & Jojo Jacob & Geert Duysters, 2013. "Entrepreneurial Orientation and Network Ties: Innovative Performance of SMEs in an Emerging-Economy Manufacturing Cluster," Working Papers 2013/28, Maastricht School of Management.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00707376 is not listed on IDEAS
- Boardman, Craig & Ponomariov, Branco, 2011. "A preliminary assessment of the potential for "team science" in DOE Energy Innovation Hubs and Energy Frontier Research Centers," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3033-3035, June.
- Ganter, Alois & Hecker, Achim, 2013. "Deciphering antecedents of organizational innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(5), pages 575-584.
- Kounetas, Kostas & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2010. "Are the Energy Efficiency Technologies efficient?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 274-283, January.
- Pitelis, Christos & Panagopoulosi, Andreas, 2009. "Innovation Governance for Value Capture -The Problem and a Proposed Simple Model-based Solution," Papers DYNREG42, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Thomas Hutzschenreuter & Fabian Guenther, 2009. "Complexity as a constraint on firm expansion within and across industries," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(6), pages 373-392.
- Bostjan Antoncic & Cezar Scarlat, 2008. "Corporate Entrepreneurship Performance: Slovenia and Romania," Management, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 3(1), pages 15-38.
- Wang, Q. & von Tunzelmann, N., 2000. "Complexity and the functions of the firm: breadth and depth," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(7-8), pages 805-818, August.
- Daniel Palacios & Ignacio Gil & Fernando Garrigos, 2009. "The impact of knowledge management on innovation and entrepreneurship in the biotechnology and telecommunications industries," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 291-301, March.
- Kounetas, Konstantinos & Mourtos, Ioannis & Tsekouras, Konstantinos, 2012. "Is energy intensity important for the productivity growth of EET adopters?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 930-941.
- Lamprinakis, Lampros, 2012. "Organizational Innovation in the Face of Institutional Change: The Case of the Finnish Dairy Sector," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144952, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Pertusa-Ortega, Eva M. & Zaragoza-Sáez, Patrocinio & Claver-Cortés, Enrique, 2010. "Can formalization, complexity, and centralization influence knowledge performance?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 310-320, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.