Control Modes in International Service Operations: The Propensity to Franchise
AbstractWhat determines a service firm's organizational choice between equity-based control and franchising? This question, which has elicited some theoretical answers and a few empirical tests in a domestic setting, has never been addressed in an international context before. This study explains the mode of control chosen in terms of a theoretical framework which borrows from agency theory and transaction cost analysis. The propensity to franchise internationally was found to be directly related to (i) monitoring costs associated with geographical and "cultural" distance between the principal (franchisor) and its foreign agents (franchisees), (ii) the principal's international experience, and (iii) the degree of host countries' contextual uncertainty but inversely related to the service firm level of brand name asset specificity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 41 (1995)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
international services; franchising; strategy;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chu-Chia S. Lin & Ivan Png, 2003.
"Monitoring costs and the mode of international investment,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 3(3), pages 261-274, July.
- Chu-Chia S. Lin & Ivan P.L. Png, 2002. "Monitoring Costs and the Mode of International Investment," Industrial Organization 0207012, EconWPA.
- Chu-Chia S. Lin & Ivan Png, 2002. "Monitoring Costs and the Mode of International Investment," International Trade 0210004, EconWPA.
- Sanchez-Peinado, Esther & Pla-Barber, Jose, 2006. "A multidimensional concept of uncertainty and its influence on the entry mode choice: An empirical analysis in the service sector," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 215-232, June.
- Fladmoe-Lindquist, Karin, 1996. "International franchising: Capabilities and development," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 419-438, September.
- Garg, Viany K. & Rasheed, Abdul A., 2003. "International multi-unit franchising: an agency theoretic explanation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 329-348, June.
- Dunning, John H. & Pak, Yong Suhk & Beldona, Sam, 2007. "Foreign ownership strategies of UK and US international franchisors: An exploratory application of Dunning's envelope paradigm," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 531-548, October.
- Bruton, Garry D. & Lohrke, Franz T. & Lu, Jane W., 2004. "The evolving definition of what comprises international strategic management research," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 413-429.
- Parente, Ronaldo & Choi, Byeongyong Paul & Slangen, Arjen H.L. & Ketkar, Sonia, 2010. "Distribution system choice in a service industry: An analysis of international insurance firms operating in the United States," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 275-287, September.
- Chen, Jean Jinghan & Dimou, Irini, 2005. "Expansion strategy of international hotel firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(12), pages 1730-1740, December.
- Windsperger, Josef, 2004. "Centralization of franchising networks: evidence from the Austrian franchise sector," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(12), pages 1361-1369, December.
- Michael, Steven C., 2000. "The effect of organizational form on quality: the case of franchising," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 295-318, November.
- Teegen, Hildy, 2000. "Examining strategic and economic development implications of globalising through franchising," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 497-521, August.
- Cristina López-Duarte & Esteban García-Canal, 1998. "La estructura de propiedad de la inversión directa exterior," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 22(1), pages 19-44, January.
- Shieh, Bih-Lian & Wu, Tzong-Chen, 2012. "Equity-based entry modes of the Greater Chinese Economic Area's foreign direct investments in Vietnam," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 508-517.
- Clegg, Jeremy & Cross, Adam R., 2000. "Affiliate and non-affiliate intellectual property transactions in international business: an empirical overview of the UK and USA," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 407-430, August.
- Dennis Campbell & Srikant M. Datar & Tatiana Sandino, 2008. "Organizational Design and Control across Multiple Markets: The Case of Franchising in the Convenience Store Industry," Harvard Business School Working Papers 08-091, Harvard Business School.
- Morschett, Dirk & Schramm-Klein, Hanna & Swoboda, Bernhard, 2010. "Decades of research on market entry modes: What do we really know about external antecedents of entry mode choice?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 60-77, March.
- Lionel Bobot, 2008. "Economie sociale et solidaire et mondialisation. Le cas Yoplait Social economy and globalisation.The Yoplait case," Working Papers 197, Laboratoire de Recherche sur l'Industrie et l'Innovation. ULCO / Research Unit on Industry and Innovation.
- Francine Lafontaine & Joanne Oxley, 2001. "International Franchising: Evidence from US and Canadian Franchisors in Mexico," NBER Working Papers 8179, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tsang, Eric W.K., 2005. "Influences on foreign ownership level and entry mode choice in Vietnam," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 441-463, August.
- Canabal, Anne & White III, George O., 2008. "Entry mode research: Past and future," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 267-284, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.