Pricing and Delivery-Time Performance in a Competitive Environment
AbstractWe present a model of market competition in which customer preferences are over not only price and quality but also delivery speed. This allows a study of market demand and firms' decisions on price, quality, technology and responsiveness in a competitive environment. When demand arises, a customer chooses the firm that maximizes its expected utility of price, quality and response time. The demand function for each firm is derived by analyzing a queueing system with competing servers. We then study price competition among firms with differentiated processing rates. In the equilibrium, the firm with a higher processing rate always enjoys a price premium, and, further, enjoys a larger market share when its opponent also has adequate processing rate to serve all the customers alone.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 40 (1994)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
two-server queues; time-sensitive customers; pricing; delivery-time competition; Nash equilibrium;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kuik, Roelof & Tielemans, Peter F. J., 1998. "Analysis of expected queueing delays for decision making in production planning," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 110(3), pages 658-681, November.
- Easton, Fred F. & Moodie, Douglas R., 1999. "Pricing and lead time decisions for make-to-order firms with contingent orders," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 305-318, July.
- Tang, Christopher S., 2010. "A review of marketing-operations interface models: From co-existence to coordination and collaboration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 22-40, May.
- Kuik, Roelof & Tielemans, Peter F. J., 2004. "Expected time in system analysis of a single-machine multi-item processing center," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 287-304, July.
- Modarres, Mohammad & Sharifyazdi, Mehdi, 2009. "Revenue management approach to stochastic capacity allocation problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(2), pages 442-459, January.
- Huang, Yeu-Shiang & Chen, Si-Hen & Ho, Jyh-Wen, 2013. "A study on pricing and delivery strategy for e-retailing systems," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 71-84.
- ElHafsi, Mohsen, 2000. "An operational decision model for lead-time and price quotation in congested manufacturing systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 355-370, October.
- Altendorfer, Klaus & Jodlbauer, Herbert, 2011. "Which utilization and service level lead to the maximum EVA?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 16-26, March.
- Elahi, Ehsan, 2013. "Outsourcing through competition: What is the best competition parameter?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 370-382.
- Isabel Parra-Frutos, 2010. "A queuing-based model for optimal dimension of service firms," SERIEs, Spanish Economic Association, vol. 1(4), pages 459-474, September.
- Mei Xue & Patrick T. Harker, 2003. "Service Co-Production, Customer Efficiency and Market Competition," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 03-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas, 2002. "Strategic behavior in a service industry," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 69-82.
- So, Kut C. & Song, Jing-Sheng, 1998. "Price, delivery time guarantees and capacity selection," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 28-49, November.
- Bertrand, J. W. M. & van Ooijen, H. P. G., 2000. "Customer order lead times for production based on lead time and tardiness costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-3), pages 257-265, March.
- Armony, Mor & Haviv, Moshe, 2003. "Price and delay competition between two service providers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 32-50, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.