An Option Valuation Analysis of Investment Choices by a Regulated Firm
AbstractThis paper analyzes a utility power plant construction project using an option pricing model of the value of the capital investment. It includes descriptive factors frequently ignored in the valuation of capital investments by regulated firms, including lead time, lumpy and sequential cost outlays, irreversibility of expenditures, and uncertainty about regulatory outcomes for completed projects. The analysis shows the value of shorter lead time technologies, the value of flexibility to delay or abandon construction, the incentive to delay construction under uncertain regulation, and how cost recovery policies, such as possible disallowance of Allow for Funds Used During Construction (AFUDC), create incentives to invest less, but to complete construction quickly. The analysis may also apply in unregulated contexts, where the value of a completed project is affected by taxation, the possibility of nationalization, or possible competitors' actions that create uncertain restrictions on potential profits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 40 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
uncertain regulation; electric utilities; real option valuation; capital investment; regulatory incentives;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fernando Camacho & Flavio Menezes, 2009. "Access pricing and investment: a real options approach," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 107-126, October.
- Pasquale Lucio Scandizzo & Odin K Knudsen, 2010.
"Risk Management and Regulation Compliance with Tradable Permits under Dynamic Uncertainty,"
CEIS Research Paper
163, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 28 May 2010.
- Pasquale Scandizzo & Odin Knudsen, 2012. "Risk management and regulation compliance with tradable permits under dynamic uncertainty," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 127-157, February.
- Davis, Graham A., 1998. "Estimating Volatility and Dividend Yield When Valuing Real Options to Invest or Abandon," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(3, Part 2), pages 725-754.
- Lander, Diane M. & Pinches, George E., 1998. "Challenges to the Practical Implementation of Modeling and Valuing Real Options," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(3, Part 2), pages 537-567.
- Graeme Guthrie, 2006. "Regulating Infrastructure: The Impact on Risk and Investment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(4), pages 925-972, December.
- Fernando T. Camacho & Flavio M. Menezes, 2008. "Price Regulation and Investment: A Real Options Approach," Discussion Papers Series 373, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Murillas Maza, Arantza, 2000. "Uncertainty and Real Options. Investment and Development of Fishing Resources (II)," BILTOKI 2000-02, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Choi, Hyun-Woo & Kim, In Joon & Kim, Tong Suk, 2002. "Contingent claims valuation of optional calling plan contracts in telephone industry," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 433-448.
- Martzoukos, Spiros H. & Trigeorgis, Lenos, 2002. "Real (investment) options with multiple sources of rare events," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(3), pages 696-706, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.