Explaining the Role of User Participation in Information System Use
AbstractEven though user participation in information system development has long been considered to be a critical factor in achieving system success, research has failed to clearly demonstrate its benefits. This paper proposes user involvement as an intervening variable between user participation and system use. Embedding the constructs of participation and involvement into the theoretical framework of Fishbein and Ajzen, a model is developed and tested in a field study of information system projects. Several key findings emerge from the study. User participation and user involvement represent two distinct constructs, with participation leading to involvement, and involvement mediating the relationship between participation and system use. The critical dimension of user participation is overall responsibility. The role of user participation and involvement is different, depending upon whether system use is mandatory or voluntary.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 40 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
information systems; user involvement; user participation; implementation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean-Grégoire Bernard & Suzanne Rivard & Benoit A. Aubert, 2002. "Évaluation du risque d'implantation de progiciel," CIRANO Project Reports 2002rp-15, CIRANO.
- Harfouche, Antoine & Aoun, Georges, 2008. "The role of cultural values in the individual intention to accept administration e-services (ITA E-Ad): a two country study," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/13613, Paris Dauphine University.
- Walker, Daniel H., 2002. "Decision support, learning and rural resource management," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 113-127, July.
- Ben Naoui, Nabila, 2003. "L'acceptation de la formation électronique : Approche par les théories d'adoption des technologies / Analyse empirique dans le contetxte tunisien," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2076, Paris Dauphine University.
- M.Y. El-Bassiouni & M. Madi, T. Zoubeidi & M.Y. Hassan, 2012. "Developing customer satisfaction indices using SERVQUAL sampling surveys: A case study of Al-Ain municipality inspectors," Journal of Economic and Administrative Sciences, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 98-108, August.
- Jose Manuel Esteves, 2004. "Implementing and improving the SEI risk management method in a university software project," Working Papers Economia wp04-29, Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment.
- Nasco, Suzanne Altobello & Toledo, Elizabeth Grandón & Mykytyn Jr., Peter P., 2008. "Predicting electronic commerce adoption in Chilean SMEs," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 697-705, June.
- Laubie, Raphaëlle & Elie-dit-Cosaque, Christophe, 2012. "Exploring and Predicting Online Collective Action on Patients' Virtual Communities: A Multi-method Investigation in France," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11679, Paris Dauphine University.
- Jose Manuel Esteves, 2004. "A goals/questions/metrics plan for monitoring user involvement and participation in ERP (...)," Working Papers Economia wp04-31, Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment.
- Romelaer, Pierre, 2002. "Innovation and management constraints," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3361, Paris Dauphine University.
- Alsajjan, Bander & Dennis, Charles, 2010. "Internet banking acceptance model: Cross-market examination," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(9-10), pages 957-963, September.
- Eldenburg, Leslie & Soderstrom, Naomi & Willis, Veronda & Wu, Anne, 2010. "Behavioral changes following the collaborative development of an accounting information system," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 222-237, February.
- Mohd Suki, Norazah & T, Ramayah, 2011. "Modelling Customer’s Attitude Towards EGovernment Services," MPRA Paper 41601, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Curkovic, Sime, 2003. "Environmentally Responsible Manufacturing: The development and validation of a measurement model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 130-155, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.