Growth Versus Security in Dynamic Investment Analysis
AbstractThis paper concerns the problem of optimal dynamic choice in discrete time for an investor. In each period the investor is faced with one or more risky investments. The maximization of the expected logarithm of the period by period wealth, referred to as the Kelly criterion, is a very desirable investment procedure. It has many attractive properties, such as maximizing the asymptotic rate of growth of the investor's fortune. On the other hand, instead of focusing on maximal growth, one can develop strategies based on maximum security. For example, one can minimize the ruin probability subject to making a positive return or compute a confidence level of increasing the investor's initial fortune to a given final wealth goal. This paper is concerned with methods to combine these two approaches. We derive computational formulas for a variety of growth and security measures. Utilizing fractional Kelly strategies, we can develop a complete tradeoff of growth versus security. The theory is applicable to favorable investment situations such as blackjack, horseracing, lotto games, index and commodity futures and options trading. The results provide insight into how one should properly invest in these situations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 38 (1992)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
capital accumulation; fractional kelly strategies; effective growth-security tradeoff; blackjack; horseracing; lotto games; turn of the year effect;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roderick Bain & Donald Hausch & William Ziemba, 2006. "An application of expert information to win betting on the Kentucky Derby, 1981-2005," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 283-301.
- David Johnstone, 2007. "Economic Darwinism: Who has the Best Probabilities?," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 62(1), pages 47-96, February.
- Victor A. Matheson & Kent R. Grote, 2003.
"In Search of a Fair Bet in the Lottery,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2003-16, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Scholz, Peter, 2012. "Size matters! How position sizing determines risk and return of technical timing strategies," CPQF Working Paper Series 31, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management, Centre for Practical Quantitative Finance (CPQF).
- Ryall, Richard & Bedford, Anthony, 2010. "An optimized ratings-based model for forecasting Australian Rules football," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 511-517, July.
- Stutzer, Michael, 2003. "Portfolio choice with endogenous utility: a large deviations approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 365-386.
- Blomvall, Jorgen & Lindberg, Per Olov, 2003. "Back-testing the performance of an actively managed option portfolio at the Swedish Stock Market, 1990-1999," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1099-1112, April.
- Dohi, T. & Tanaka, H. & Kaio, N. & Osaki, S., 1995. "Alternative growth versus security in continuous dynamic trading," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 265-278, July.
- Bin Li & Steven C. H. Hoi, 2012. "Online Portfolio Selection: A Survey," Papers 1212.2129, arXiv.org, revised May 2013.
- Grant, Andrew & Johnstone, David, 2010. "Finding profitable forecast combinations using probability scoring rules," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 498-510, July.
- MacLean, Leonard & Zhao, Yonggan & Ziemba, William, 2006. "Dynamic portfolio selection with process control," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 317-339, February.
- Daniel Lane & William Ziemba, 2004. "Jai Alai arbitrage strategies," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 353-369.
- Andrea Beltratti & Andrea Consiglio & Stavros A. Zenios, 1998. "Scenario Modeling for the Management of International Bond Portfolios," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-20, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- MacLean, Leonard C. & Sanegre, Rafael & Zhao, Yonggan & Ziemba, William T., 2004. "Capital growth with security," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 937-954, February.
- Kent Grote & Victor Matheson, 2011. "The Economics of Lotteries: An Annotated Bibliography," Working Papers 1110, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.