Component Commonality with Service Level Requirements
AbstractThis paper extends recent results of Baker et al. (Baker, K. R., M. J. Magazine, H. L. W. Nuttle. 1986. The effect of commonality on safety stocks in a simple inventory model. Management Sci. 32 982--988.) in understanding the impact of component commonality on stocking levels under service level constraints. A model is formulated for an arbitrary number of products with general joint demand distribution. The results obtained are not all intuitive. While utilizing commonality is beneficial, nothing general can be said about the resulting change in the components' stock levels. When the cost structure is of a particular simple form, though, some interesting general patterns do emerge. We also discuss the case of using a service-level measure where rationing of common components might be required, and characterize the implied rationing rule.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 34 (1988)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
inventory/production; measure of effectiveness; stochastic models; ordering policies;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hsieh, Ying-Jiun, 2011. "Demand switching criteria for multiple products: An inventory cost analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 130-137, April.
- Zhang, Juliang & Shou, Biying & Chen, Jian, 2013. "Postponed product differentiation with demand information update," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 529-540.
- Hausman, Warren H. & Lee, Hau L. & Zhang, Alex X., 1998. "Joint demand fulfillment probability in a multi-item inventory system with independent order-up-to policies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 646-659, September.
- Zhang, Xinyan & Huang, George Q., 2010. "Game-theoretic approach to simultaneous configuration of platform products and supply chains with one manufacturing firm and multiple cooperative suppliers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 121-136, March.
- Tibben-Lembke, Ronald S. & Bassok, Yehuda, 2005. "An inventory model for delayed customization: A hybrid approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(3), pages 748-764, September.
- Chen-Ritzo, Ching-Hua & Ervolina, Tom & Harrison, Terry P. & Gupta, Barun, 2011. "Component rationing for available-to-promise scheduling in configure-to-order systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(1), pages 57-65, May.
- Mohebbi, E. & Choobineh, F., 2005. "The impact of component commonality in an assemble-to-order environment under supply and demand uncertainty," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 472-482, December.
- Nils Boysen & Armin Scholl, 2008.
"A general solution framework for component commonality problems,"
Jena Research Papers in Business and Economics - Working and Discussion Papers
12/2008, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, School of Economics and Business Administration.
- Nils Boysen & Armin Scholl, 2009. "A General Solution Framework for Component-Commonality Problems," BuR - Business Research, German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 2(1), pages 86-106, May.
- Kim, Kilsun & Chhajed, Dilip, 2000. "Commonality in product design: Cost saving, valuation change and cannibalization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(3), pages 602-621, September.
- Zhou, Li & Grubbstrom, R.W.Robert W., 2004. "Analysis of the effect of commonality in multi-level inventory systems applying MRP theory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 251-263, July.
- Ma, Shihua & Wang, Wei & Liu, Liming, 2002. "Commonality and postponement in multistage assembly systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(3), pages 523-538, November.
- Hillier, Mark S., 2002. "Using commonality as backup safety stock," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 353-365, January.
- Droge, Cornelia & Vickery, Shawnee K. & Jacobs, Mark A., 2012. "Does supply chain integration mediate the relationships between product/process strategy and service performance? An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 250-262.
- Nonås, Sigrid Lise, 2009. "Finding and identifying optimal inventory levels for systems with common components," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(1), pages 98-119, February.
- Betts, John M. & Johnston, Robert B., 2005. "Just-in-time component replenishment decisions for assemble-to-order manufacturing under capital constraint and stochastic demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 51-70, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.