Service Constrained (s, S) Inventory Systems with Priority Demand Classes and Lost Sales
AbstractThis paper presents a model of an (s, S) inventory system in which there are two priority classes of customers. The model treats excess demands as lost sales and can accommodate an arbitrary deterministic lead time. After considering the associated Markov-chain model, an approximate, renewal-based model is derived. This approximation is used to develop a greedy heuristic which minimizes expected costs subject to a fill-rate service constraint. The paper concludes with the results of an extensive numerical test of both the accuracy of the approximation and the performance of the heuristic with respect to the true optimal solution. Results indicate good performance which deteriorates as the fill rate requirement and lead time increase.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 34 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
inventory/production; approximations; ordering; stochastic models;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bendre, Abhijit Bhagwan & Nielsen, Lars Relund, 2013. "Inventory control in a lost-sales setting with information about supply lead times," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 324-331.
- R. Dekker & R.M. Hill & M.J. Kleijn, 1997. "On the (S-1, S) Lost Sales Inventory Model with Priority Demand Classes," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 97-114/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Tan, Tarkan & Güllü, Refik & Erkip, Nesim, 2009. "Using imperfect advance demand information in ordering and rationing decisions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 665-677, October.
- ElHafsi, Mohsen, 2009. "Optimal integrated production and inventory control of an assemble-to-order system with multiple non-unitary demand classes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(1), pages 127-142, April.
- Chen-Ritzo, Ching-Hua & Ervolina, Tom & Harrison, Terry P. & Gupta, Barun, 2011. "Component rationing for available-to-promise scheduling in configure-to-order systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(1), pages 57-65, May.
- Barut, M. & Sridharan, V, 2004. "Design and evaluation of a dynamic capacity apportionment procedure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 155(1), pages 112-133, May.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2097114 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.