Computing Block-Angular Karmarkar Projections with Applications to Stochastic Programming
AbstractWe present a variant of Karmarkar's algorithm for block-angular structured linear programs, such as stochastic linear programs. By computing the projection efficiently, we give a worst-case bound on the order of the running time that can be an order of magnitude better than that of Karmarkar's standard algorithm. Further implications for approximations and very large-scale problems are given.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 34 (1988)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
linear programming; stochastic programming; Karmarkar method;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Berkelaar, A.B. & Dert, C.L. & Oldenkamp, K.P.B. & Zhang, S., 1999. "A primal-dual decomposition based interior point approach to two-stage stochastic linear programming," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9918-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Berkelaar, Arjan & Dert, Cees & Oldenkamp, Bart, 1999. "A primal-dual decompsition-based interior point approach to two-stage stochastic linear programming," Serie Research Memoranda 0026, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Meszaros, Csaba, 1997. "The augmented system variant of IPMs in two-stage stochastic linear programming computation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 317-327, September.
- Gondzio, Jacek, 2012. "Interior point methods 25 years later," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(3), pages 587-601.
- Gondzio, J. & Sarkissian, R. & Vial, J.-P., 1997. "Using an interior point method for the master problem in a decomposition approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 577-587, September.
- J. Gondzio, 1994. "Preconditioned Conjugate Gradients in an Interior Point Method for Two-stage Stochastic Programming," Working Papers wp94130, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Kouwenberg, Roy, 2001. "Scenario generation and stochastic programming models for asset liability management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 279-292, October.
- Bocanegra, Silvana & Castro, Jordi & Oliveira, Aurelio R.L., 2013. "Improving an interior-point approach for large block-angular problems by hybrid preconditioners," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 231(2), pages 263-273.
- A. Ruszczynski, 1993. "Interior Point Methods in Stochastic Programming," Working Papers wp93008, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Vladimirou, Hercules, 1998. "Computational assessment of distributed decomposition methods for stochastic linear programs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 108(3), pages 653-670, August.
- Diana Barro & Elio Canestrelli, 2005. "Time and nodal decomposition with implicit non-anticipativity constraints in dynamic portfolio optimization," GE, Growth, Math methods 0510011, EconWPA.
- Mulvey, John M. & Rosenbaum, Daniel P. & Shetty, Bala, 1997. "Strategic financial risk management and operations research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Zhang, S., 2002. "An interior-point and decomposition approach to multiple stage stochastic programming," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2002-35, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Jacek Gondzio & Andreas Grothey, 2009. "Exploiting structure in parallel implementation of interior point methods for optimization," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 135-160, May.
- Cosmin Petra & Mihai Anitescu, 2012. "A preconditioning technique for Schur complement systems arising in stochastic optimization," Computational Optimization and Applications, Springer, vol. 52(2), pages 315-344, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.