Scheduling Ocean Transportation of Crude Oil
AbstractA crude oil tanker scheduling problem faced by a major oil company is presented and solved using an elastic set partitioning model. The model takes into account all fleet cost components, including the opportunity cost of ship time, port and canal charges, and demurrage and bunker fuel. The model determines optimal speeds for the ships and the best routing of ballast (empty) legs, as well as which cargos to load on controlled ships and which to spot charter. All feasible schedules are generated, the cost of each is accurately determined and the best set of schedules is selected. For the problems encountered, optimal integer solutions to set partitioning problems with thousands of binary variables have been achieved in less than a minute.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 33 (1987)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
transportation: planning; set partitioning; enumerative methods;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sambracos, E. & Paravantis, J. A. & Tarantilis, C. D. & Kiranoudis, C. T., 2004. "Dispatching of small containers via coastal freight liners: The case of the Aegean Sea," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 365-381, January.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Christiansen, Marielle & Magnus Hvattum, Lars & Johnsen, Trond A.V. & Vabø, Thor J., 2010. "A decision support methodology for strategic planning in maritime transportation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 465-474, December.
- Hennig, F. & Nygreen, B. & Christiansen, M. & Fagerholt, K. & Furman, K.C. & Song, J. & Kocis, G.R. & Warrick, P.H., 2012. "Maritime crude oil transportation – A split pickup and split delivery problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(3), pages 764-774.
- Alizadeh, Amir H. & Talley, Wayne K., 2011. "Vessel and voyage determinants of tanker freight rates and contract times," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 665-675, September.
- Al-Khayyal, Faiz & Hwang, Seung-June, 2007. "Inventory constrained maritime routing and scheduling for multi-commodity liquid bulk, Part I: Applications and model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 106-130, January.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Lindstad, Håkon, 2000. "Optimal policies for maintaining a supply service in the Norwegian Sea," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 269-275, June.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil, 2001. "Ship scheduling with soft time windows: An optimisation based approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 131(3), pages 559-571, June.
- Amir Alizadeh & Wayne Talley, 2011. "Microeconomic determinants of dry bulk shipping freight rates and contract times," Transportation, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 561-579, May.
- Ozelkan, Ertunga C. & D'Ambrosio, Alfred & Teng, S. Gary, 2008. "Optimizing liquefied natural gas terminal design for effective supply-chain operations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 529-542, February.
- Shih, Li-Hsing, 1997. "Planning of fuel coal imports using a mixed integer programming method," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 243-249, September.
- Bilgen, Bilge & Ozkarahan, Irem, 2007. "A mixed-integer linear programming model for bulk grain blending and shipping," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 555-571, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.