Bayes Solution to Dynamic Inventory Models Under Unknown Demand Distribution
AbstractThis paper considers the periodic review inventory problem for which one or more parameters of the demand distribution are unknown with a known prior distribution chosen from the natural conjugate family. The Bayesian formulation of this problem results in a dynamic program with a multi-dimensional state space. Two models are analysed: the depletive inventory model of consumable items and the nondepletive model of reparable items. For both models and for some specific demand distributions, it is shown that the solution of the Bayesian model can be reduced to that of solving another dynamic program with a one-dimensional state space. Moreover, an explicit form for the optimal Bayesian ordering policy is given in each case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 31 (1985)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
inventory control; unknown demand; dynamic programming;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Larson, C. Erik & Olson, Lars J. & Sharma, Sunil, 2001.
"Optimal Inventory Policies when the Demand Distribution Is Not Known,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 281-300, November.
- C. Erik Larson Lars J. Olson** and Sunil Sharma***, 1991. "Optimal Inventory Policies When The Demand Distribution Is Not Known#," UCLA Economics Working Papers 631, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Erik W. Larson & Sunil Sharma & Lars J. Olson, 2000. "Optimal Inventory Policies When the Demand Distribution is not Known," IMF Working Papers 00/183, International Monetary Fund.
- Larson, C.E. & Olson, L.J. & Sharma, S., 1992. "Optimal Inventory Policies when the Demand Distribution is not Known," The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management 92-12, The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management. University of California Riverside.
- Halkos, George & Kevork, Ilias, 2012. "Evaluating alternative frequentist inferential approaches for optimal order quantities in the newsvendor model under exponential demand," MPRA Paper 39650, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graves, Stephen C., 1997. "A single-item inventory model for a non-stationary demand process," Working papers WP 3944-97., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Bitran, Gabriel R. & Wadhwa, Hitendra K. S. (Hitendra Kumar Singh), 1996. "A methodology for demand learning with an application to the optimal pricing of seasonal products," Working papers 3898-96., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Tan, Tarkan & Gullu, Refik & Erkip, Nesim, 2007. "Modelling imperfect advance demand information and analysis of optimal inventory policies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 897-923, March.
- Janssen, E. & Strijbosch, L.W.G. & Brekelmans, R.C.M., 2006. "Assessing the Effects of using Demand Parameters Estimates in Inventory Control," Discussion Paper 2006-90, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Agrawal, Narendra & Smith, Stephen A., 2013. "Optimal inventory management for a retail chain with diverse store demands," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 225(3), pages 393-403.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming, 2007. "Pre-season stocking and pricing decisions for fashion retailers with multiple information updating," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 146-170, March.
- Glenn, David & Bisi, Arnab & Puterman, Martin L., 2004. "The Bayesian Newsvendors in Supply Chains with Unobserved Lost Sales," Working Papers 04-0110, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Chow, Pui-Sze, 2008. "Mean-variance analysis of Quick Response Program," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 456-475, August.
- Janssen, Elleke & Strijbosch, Leo & Brekelmans, Ruud, 2009. "Assessing the effects of using demand parameters estimates in inventory control and improving the performance using a correction function," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 34-42, March.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Mike Ludkovski, 2012. "Inventory Management with Partially Observed Nonstationary Demand," Papers 1206.6283, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.