An Analysis of Network Location Problems with Distance Constraints
AbstractThis paper concerns a class of network location problems with minimum or maximum separation requirements between (uncapacitated) facilities or between demand points and the facilities, or both. Its purpose is three-fold. First, it is to recognize distance constraints as increasing real life restrictions through various motivating illustrations. Using a new classification scheme, the paper introduces a variety of distance-constrained problems defined in a unified manner. These include a number of new problems. Second, it is to survey existing solution techniques, available only for a few of such constrained problems. Finally, it is to shed some light on yet unstudied problems by exploring possible extensions of some of the known solution techniques or discussing varying degrees of difficulties involved. In particular, the paper presents integer programming formulations of several new problems along with the results of applying linear programming relaxation methods. Although the computational experience is somewhat disappointing for some of these problems, the results provide greater insight into the problems. With the stated purpose, it is hoped that this paper will stimulate future research in this important problem area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 30 (1984)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
facilities/equipment planning: location;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Murray, Alan T. & Church, Richard L., 1997. "Facets for node packing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 598-608, September.
- Batta, Rajan & Lejeune, Miguel & Prasad, Srinivas, 2014. "Public facility location using dispersion, population, and equity criteria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(3), pages 819-829.
- ReVelle, C. S. & Eiselt, H. A., 2005. "Location analysis: A synthesis and survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 1-19, August.
- Averbakh, Igor & Berman, Oded, 1996. "Locating flow-capturing units on a network with multi-counting and diminishing returns to scale," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 495-506, June.
- Erkut, E. & ReVelle, C. & Ulkusal, Y., 1996. "Integer-friendly formulations for the r-separation problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 342-351, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.